Women's Tennis Tops Dawgs, 7-2
Seventh-ranked Bears move to 3-0 on the season.
Jan. 29, 1998
SEATTLE - It was just two weeks ago when the California women's
tennis team traveled to Seattle for the 1998 Pac-10 indoor championships.
The Golden Bears proved their mettle and lived up to their lofty No. 7
ranking during the three-day tournament by taking three of the six flights.
Thursday afternoon the Bears returned to the scene of the crime, so to
speak, and comfortably defeated the 61st-ranked Washington Huskies, 7-2.
Washington has never beaten Cal in women's tennis and the victory, which
improved the Bears record to 3-0 on the season, was Cal's 13th in a row
over the Dawgs. The loss was Washington's first of the year and dropped the
Huskies to 1-1.
Amanda Augustus got things started on the right foot for Cal posting her
seventh consecutive singles victory with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Kristina
Kraszewski at No. 1 singles. Stephanie Tibbits, Francesca La'O and Anita
Kurimay also posted victories for the Bears in the Nos. 3-5 positions,
respectively, to give Cal a commanding 4-2 lead heading into doubles play.
Trailing by two sets, Washington needed to sweep doubles in order to win
the match, but any hope the Huskies held quickly evaporated as tandem of
Augustus/Amy Jensen soundly defeated Washington's Kori Sosnowy/Wu, 8-3, in
the No. 1 slot to seal the Cal victory. The Bears also took the other two
doubles matches contested as the teams of Kurimay/Esther Knox and La'O/Lee
also recorded victories for Cal.
The No. 7 Golden Bears will return to the hardcourt Friday, Jan. 30, when
the Bears face the Washington State Cougars in the second game of their
current three-game road trip. The match, which will be contested at the
Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m.
California 7, Washington 2
1. Amanda Augustus (Cal) d. Kristina Kraszewski (UW) 6-4, 6-4
2. Zuzana Stunova (UW) d. Esther Knox (Cal) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Stephanie Tibbits (Cal) d. Peggy Wu (UW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Francesca La'O (Cal) d. Erica Stoloff (UW) 7-5, 1-6, 7-5
5. Anita Kurimay (Cal) d. Jenny Svanfeldt (UW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Zeta Wagner (UW) d. Jenny Lee (Cal) 7-5, 6-3
1. Augustus-Amy Jensen (Cal) d. Kori Sosnowy-Wu (UW) 8-3
2. Kurimay-Knox (Cal) d. Kraszewski-Stunova (UW) 9-7
3. La'O-Lee (Cal) d. Hrafnhildur Hannesdottir-Wagner (UW) 8-5