Mar. 28, 1997
Bears Men's Tennis Beats Sun Devils
BERKELEY, Calif. - Using strong singles play and sweeping to the doubles point, the Cal Golden Bears posted a 5-2 win over Arizona State.
The Bears won four of the six singles matches before sweeping to 8-4, 8-5, 8-5 wins in doubles' action.
Chris Santoso led the way for the Bears, registering a 6-3, 6-3 victory in the No. 1 singles slot and teaming with David Sutton to nail Cal's first doubles' win.
Cal returns to the court when it hosts Arizona tomorrow.
Cal 5, ASU 2Singles
1. Chris Santoso (Cal) def. Sergio Elias (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Alex Osterrieth (ASU) def. Alex Sauer (Cal) 6-3, 6-3
3. Nathan Jackmon (Cal) def. Gustavo Marcaccio (ASU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Ed Carter (ASU) def. David Sutton (Cal) 6-4, 6-4
5. Minh Le (Cal) def. Tim Hammond (ASU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Brian Fernando (Cal) def. Corey Blackman (ASU) 7-6 (8), 6-1
1. Sutton/Santoso (Cal) def. Elias/Carter (ASU) 8-4
2. Jackmon/Sauer (Cal) def. Osterrieth/Casey Was (ASU) 8-5
3. Le/Gross (Cal) def. Marcaccio/Hammond (ASU) 8-5