Jan. 19, 2012
Final Stats |
- At 6-1, the Bears are off to their best start in conference games under head coach Mike Montgomery. It is also the best start to league play since Cal went 7-0 to begin the 2002-03 Pac-10 season.
- Cal snapped a three-game losing streak to Washington and claimed a 78-77 lead in the all-time series.
- The Bears have won four games in a row. They have had two other winning streaks of the same length, this season; Nov. 11-21, and Dec. 7-19.
- Tonight’s game was the only regular-season game scheduled between Cal and Washington. The last time the Bears and Huskies met just once in a season was in 1948-49.
- The Bears handed the Huskies just their second home loss of the season. Previously, Washington fell in a 92-73 result at the hands of South Dakota State on Dec. 18.
- Cal held a 35-25 lead at the half. The Bears are now 15-0 in games in which they have led at halftime.
- The Bears held the Huskies to just 25 first-half points to match Washington’s lowest first-half output of the season. UW also had 25 points at the half at Saint Louis (Nov. 20) and against Washington State (Jan. 15).
- Tonight’s game was the 12th time this season that the Bears have appeared on television. They are 9-3 in televised games.
- Junior F Robert Thurman had 12 points at halftime, which bested his career high of 11 points. He finished with 16 points and added a career-high seven rebounds in just 21 minutes on the court.
- Sophomore G Allen Crabbe posted his third double-double of the season (the fourth in his career) with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- Senior G Jorge Gutierrez (1,070 points) moved into 31st-place for career points at Cal as he passed Kevin Singleton (1977-81). Next up, Ed Gray (1996-97) with 1,082 points in 30th, and Ryan Drew (1988-91) in 29th with 1,086 points.
- Senior G Jorge Gutierrez flirted with a triple-double with nine points, eight rebounds, and seven assists on his final line.
- Cal’s victory stopped Washington’s Lorenzo Romar from earning his 300th career victory as a collegiate head coach and his 100th conference win with the Huskies.
- Junior G Brandon Smith scored two points and had two rebounds in his first game since Jan. 5 when he suffered a concussion at Oregon State.