We're in the middle of another action-packed weekend of Cal sports. There is still more to come, but here's what's happened so far:
- The football team lost a tough one at No. 12 Ohio State, falling 35-28 in a hostile environment in Columbus, Ohio. The Bears fell behind 20-7 but came back to take a 21-20 lead early in the fourth quarter. The score was tied at 28-28 before the Buckeyes scored a touchdown with 3:26 left to pull it out. Quarterback Zach Maynard was 26-for-37 for 280 yards and a touchdown and interception in the loss. Sophomore running back Brendan Bigelow had an explosive day with touchdown runs of 81 and 59 yards.
- The No. 3 men's water polo team continued its explosive start to the season by routing No. 16 Air Force, 19-2, at the NorCal Invitational at Stanford. Collin Smith, Aleksa Saponjic and Colin Mulcahy each scored three goals apiece for the Bears. Cal meets No. 6 UC Irvine later this evening.
- The rugby team kicked off the fall 7s season by winning the Buckeye Sevens Invitational in dominant fashion. Cal won three matches on Friday, beating Notre Dame, Navy and Ohio State by a combined score of 68-15. The Bears then came back to hammer Navy, 45-0 this morning to win the championship.
- The field hockey team lost in overtime to Indiana today, 2-1. Caroline Struijk scored for the Bears. Cal ended up losing in a shootout.
- The women's soccer team beat visiting Penn on Friday afternoon, 1-0. Betsy Hassett scored for the Bears in the first half.