The Cal Athletic Department is setting up shop in Columbus, Ohio this week, and it's not just because of the football team's visit to Ohio State.
While the Bears are taking on the 12th-ranked Buckeyes, Cal's rugby team also begins its fall 7s season at the Buckeye Sevens Invitational, also on Ohio State's campus.
Those are two of a slew of events Cal sports will be taking part in the rest of this week.
The Bears have already gone international this week, with the women's golf team taking part in the Topy Cup in Tangura, Japan. Cal and Oregon are the only women's teams competing in the event, along with a handful of men's teams. The Bears were in first place after the first day Tuesday with a combined score of 280. Junior Nicola Rossler and freshman Hannah Suh each carded 70 for Cal. The tournament runs three days (54 holes).
The men's soccer team also has already been in action this week, and they did so in fine fashion with a 5-0 rout of Houston Baptist on Tuesday. Five different Bears scored, including Tony Calciccia's team-leading third goal of the season. Cal hosts USF on Sunday.
Around the athletic department this week:
- The football team faces a big challenge at Ohio State, which is 59-7 at home since 2002. The Bears will have to contend with dynamic Buckeyes quarterback Braxton Miller, who has emerged as a Heisman Trophy candidate early on. This is the seventh all-time meeting between the schools, and the first since 1972.
- The women's volleyball team is staying in the Bay Area this week, hosting Saint Mary's on Friday night and visiting USF on Saturday. The Bears have won four in a row and are 5-3. One of those losses came to USF at the Wahine Volleyball Classic in Hawaii.
- The No. 15 women's soccer team will play its eighth match of the season and third on the Pac-12 Networks when it hosts Penn on Friday. The Bears (5-2) bring a three-match win streak into the game. Cal will look to continue its potent ways on offense - the Bears lead the Pac-12 in scoring with 19 goals.
- At the Buckeye Seven Invitational, the Bears play three matches Friday night -- against Notre Dame, Navy and the host Buckeyes. Play continues Saturday morning.
- After six straight home games to start the season, the Cal field hockey team finally hits the road this weekend. The Bears play Indiana on Saturday and Missouri State on Sunday.
- The No. 3 men's water polo team, fresh off its dominant performance at the Princeton Invitational last weekend in which it went 5-0 and knocked off a pair of ranked teams, plays at the NorCal Invitational Saturday and Sunday at Stanford.