Dec. 14, 2013
Cal vs. Fresno State Postgame Notes
- Cal is now 42-6 in non-conference home games under Mike Montgomery.
- The Bears are now 4-2 all-time vs. the Bulldogs after today’s victory in the programs’ first meeting since December 2001.
- With the win, Mike Montgomery now owns 665 victories in 31 seasons and claims sole possession of 27th on the NCAA’s all-time wins list for Div. I men’s basketball coaches, surpassing John Wooden. With 117 wins at Cal, he is now two wins shy of tying Pete Newell as the fourth-winningest coach in school history.
- It was the fifth time the Bears held a team to under 35 percent in shooting after allowing greater than 50 percent in the previous two games.
- Cal built a 12-2 early lead through the first 8:37 of the contest, holding Fresno State to just 1-for-13 on field goal attempts during the stretch. The Bears limited the Bulldogs to 8-for-30 (26.7%) for the opening 20 minutes.
- This was the second game this season where David Kravish and Richard Solomon each notched double-digit rebounds (Kravish 12, Solomon 14). The duo also put up 10+boards apiece in the season opener vs. Coppin State.
- The Golden Bears notched 5+ blocked shots for the first time since the season opener vs. Coppin State, with 2 blocks each from Tyrone Wallace, Richard Solomon and David Kravish.
- Cal wore its alternate gray uniforms for the first time this season.
- Starters: Solomon (forward), Kravish (forward), Cobbs (guard), Wallace (guard), Kreklow (guard)
- Attendance: 9,342
Senior Guard Justin Cobbs
- With 13 points, Justin Cobbs moved up to 34th place on Cal’s all-time scoring list with 1,075 career points, eclipsing Kevin Singleton (1977-81, 1,068 pts.). Next up is Ed Gray (1996-97, 1,082 pts.)
- Climbs up to No. 7 in Cal’s all-time assist chart with 4 assists vs. Fresno State. The Pac-12’s active assist leader now has 397 career assists (69 in 2013), besting Golden Bear Butch Hays (1981-84, 396 assists).
Senior Forward Richard Solomon
- Entered the game leading the Pac-12 with 10.1 rpg and finished with 14 boards against the Bulldogs.
- Logged his third double-double of the season with 17 points and 14 rebounds.
- Scored a season-high 17 points, besting a previous best of 14 vs. both Southern Utah and Nevada.
- Season-high 2 assists after previously logging one assist thrice this season.
- Matched his career-high steals with 3 today for the sixth time as a Bear. He has registered three steals in a game thrice this season.
Junior Guard Ricky Kreklow
- Set a season-high 4 assists. Previous best was 3 vs. Syracuse on Nov. 26, 2013.
Sophomore Guard Tyrone Wallace
- New season-high blocks with 2. He had one block in six games.