Both Cal and Stanford dropped in the March 4 ITA poll despite not having played last week. Previously, the Bears were ranked 14th, while the Cardinal was ranked fourth.
Scouting the Bears
- Five Golden Bears are ranked in the latest ITA singles poll, which came out on Feb. 25
- Junior Zsofi Susanyi – who has a 15-7 singles record – has Cal’s highest ranking, moving up two spots to No. 14
- Susanyi claimed the Feb. 11 Pac-12 Player of the Week honor, after the Szeged, Hungary, product won all three of her singles matches at the ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championships
- Senior Anett Schutting (14-8) returned to No. 26 after spending the previous two weeks at No. 37; she was ranked 26th in the poll before that one
- Freshman Denise Starr (12-4) is ranked 28th
- Sophomore Lynn Chi (16-8) jumped from No.66 to No. 43
- Freshman Maegan Manasse (16-4) is ranked 78th
- Cal has one ranked doubles team in the pair of Starr and senior Kelly Chui, which is ranked No. 39
- The Chui/Starr team has a 4-2 record that includes an 8-6 upset of the then-fourth-ranked USC duo Zoe Scandalis and Giuliana Olmos in Cal’s last match
- This marks Chui’s first ITA national ranking
- Former Cal NCAA doubles champion and All-American Amanda Augustus is in her seventh season as head coach of the Bears
- Associate head coach Cordell Ho, another Cal alum, is in his 17th season on the Cal women’s staff
- Jan Brogan, who retired in 2007 after serving 29 years as the Golden Bears’ head coach, is Cal’s volunteer assistant coach
Cal lost a pair of nonconference matches in Los Angeles to then-No. 2 UCLA, 4-3, and then-No. 9 USC, 6-1. On Feb. 21 at UCLA, then-No. 4 Cal battled back against the second-ranked Bruins after dropping the doubles point to even the match at 2-2. But the Golden Bears eventually lost to the host team, 4-3, at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. Cal’s record fell to 5-2, while UCLA’s record improved to 10-1.
Cal senior Anett Schutting – ranked 37th - collected perhaps Cal’s most impressive singles win of the year with a 6-2, 3-6, 1-0(6) victory over the second-ranked Robin Anderson on court one to tie the overall match at 1-1. The win marked Schutting’s first over the UCLA junior.
The Bears made their first appearance of the season on the Pac-12 Networks with the UCLA match.
Playing its second match in two days, Cal lost to No. 9 USC, 6-1, on Feb. 22 at Marks Stadium. Cal junior Zsofi Susanyi – ranked 16th – won her court-two singles match against No. 118 Brynn Boren, 6-3, 6-2, to score the Golden Bears’ point. Cal fell to 5-3 after the nonconference match, while the Trojans improved to 7-2.
Scouting the Aztecs
- SDSU had its last scheduled match – March 1 at Arizona – cancelled due to rain in Tucson, Ariz.
- The Aztecs lost to then-No. 65 South Florida, 6-1, in its last match on Feb. 27 in San Diego
- Two Aztecs are ranked in singles: No. 54 senior Laura Antonaña Iriarte and No. 121 junior Kristin Buth
- Peter Mattera is in his 21st year as head coach at San Diego State
Scouting the Cardinal
- Stanford is coming off of an impressive 7-0 thrashing of then-No. 5 Florida on Feb. 23 at home
- The Cardinal beat then-No. 38 Saint Mary’s, 5-2, on Feb. 20 also at home
- Stanford has six ranked singles players in No. 5 Kristie Ahn, No. 21 Taylor Davidson, No. 31 Carol Zhao , No. 32 Caroline Doyle, No. 35 Ellen Tsay, and No. 39 Krista Hardebeck
- Stanford has two ranked doubles teams in No. 14 Kristie Ahn/Carol Zhao and No. 37 Ellen Tsay/Taylor Davidson
- Lele Forood is in her 14th season as head coach at Stanford
Cal opens the Pac-12 Conference season when it hosts Washington on March 15 at noon.