BERKELEY – Eighth-ranked California opens the New Year when it hosts the annual Cal Winter Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Jan. 17-19, at the Hellman Tennis Complex and Channing Courts. The Golden Bears – five of whom are nationally ranked in singles – will welcome No. 37 Saint Mary’s, No. 56 Fresno State and Cal Poly to their annual tournament.
The following is the tentative schedule for the tournament, which fans can follow via Cal’s live streaming page here:
10 a.m., Singles – Cal vs. Fresno State (6 matches at Hellman and 2 matches at Channing)
12:30 p.m., Doubles – Cal vs. Cal Poly (4 matches at Hellman)
1:30 p.m., Doubles – Fresno State vs. Saint Mary's (4 matches at Hellman)
2:30 p.m., Singles – Saint Mary's vs. Cal Poly (6 matches at Hellman and 2 matches at Channing)
10 a.m., Singles – Cal vs. Cal Poly (6 matches at Hellman and 2 matches at Channing)
12:30 p.m., Doubles – Cal vs. Saint Mary's (4 matches at Hellman)
12:30 p.m., Doubles – Fresno State vs. Cal Poly (4 matches at Channing)
2 p.m., Singles – Saint Mary's vs. Fresno State (6 matches at Hellman and 2 matches at Channing)
10 a.m., Singles – Fresno State vs. Cal Poly (6 matches at Hellman and 2 matches at Channing)
12:30 p.m., Doubles – Cal vs. Fresno State (4 matches at Hellman)
12:30 p.m., Doubles – Saint Mary's vs. Cal Poly (4 matches at Channing)
2 p.m., Singles – Cal vs. Saint Mary's (6 matches at Hellman and 2 matches at Channing)
Please check CalBears.com later in the week for the links to the tournament’s updated schedule, draws and results pages.
Scouting the Bears
- Cal’s ranked singles players include the following: 15th-ranked freshman Denise Starr, who posted an 8-1 singles record in the fall, 16th-ranked junior Zsofi Susanyi (10-4), 26th-ranked senior Anett Schutting (9-5), 31st-ranked freshman Maegan Manasse (7-2) and 95th-ranked sophomore Lynn Chi (9-5)
- The doubles team of Susanyi and sophomore Klara Fabikova (4-2 record) – which won the top doubles title at the Cal Nike Invitational in September – earned a No. 18 ranking from the ITA, while the pair of Susanyi and Starr (3-1) claimed a No. 48 ranking
- Previously ranked No. 23 in singles, Fabikova compiled a 9-5 singles record last fall
- Ranked 11th in the ITA fall doubles poll, the Cal doubles team of Schutting and Chi has posted a 5-4 record so far this year
- Former NCAA doubles champion and All-American Amanda Augustus is in her seventh season as head coach at her alma mater
- Associate head coach Cordell Ho, another Cal alum, is in his 17th season on the Cal women’s staff
- Jan Brogan, who retired in 2007 after serving 29 years as the Golden Bears’ head coach, is Cal’s volunteer assistant coach
Last Time Out
Cal’s Denise Starr defeated fellow freshman teammate Maegan Manasse, 6-1, 6-2, in the singles championship on the final day of the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on Nov. 10, 2013, in Tempe, Ariz. In the third-place singles match, Cal sophomore Klara Fabikova fell to Arizona State’s Stephanie Vlad, 6-1, 6-3.
On Nov. 8 at the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships in Flushing, N.Y., Zsofi Susanyi ended her run with a loss in the consolation singles draw. Seeded second in the consolation draw and ranked fourth in the fall ITA rankings, Susanyi fell to Georgia State’s 37th-ranked Abigail Tere-Apisah, 6-3, 6-2, at the USTA Billie Jean National King Tennis Center. Susanyi had earlier reached the round of 32 in the singles main draw at the indoor intercollegiate.
Scouting the Cal Winter Invitational Field
- Jenny Jullien of Saint Mary’s is ranked seventh in the ITA singles poll
- This marks the first time a Gael has been ranked in the ITA’s top 10
- Lisa Alipaz is in her 17th year as head coach at SMC
- Sophie Watts – ranked No. 104 – leads Fresno State; her twin sister, Anneka, also plays for the Bulldogs
- FSU’s Aishwarya Agrawal and Claire Yang also hold an ITA doubles ranking of No. 41
- Ryan Stotland is in his second season as the Bulldogs’ head coach
- Former Cal associate head coach Damon Coupe is in his third season as Cal Poly’s head coach
- Coupe coached at Cal in the 2006-07 season
Last Year at the Cal Winter Invitational
Cal sophomore Zsofi Susanyi rose to the top of a talented field to capture the singles and – with freshman Klara Fabikova – the doubles title as the 2013 Cal Winter Invitational came to an end on Jan. 20 at the Hellman Tennis Complex and Channing Tennis Courts. The seventh-ranked Golden Bears won seven of nine singles matches against Santa Clara and three of four doubles matches against No. 42 Saint Mary's at their annual event, which included No. 60 Fresno State.
Playing on court two, Susanyi defeated Santa Clara's Alex Zaniewski, 6-2, 6-1, to clinch the singles title. The seventh-ranked player in the nation, the sophomore produced a 3-0 record over the three-day event. Playing on court one in doubles, Susanyi and Fabikova beat the Gaels' Audrey Leitz/Jenny Jullien, 8-2, to clinch that title with another 3-0 record.
Cal Breaks Ground on Hellman Upgrade Project
Cal hosted a groundbreaking ceremony for its Tennis Facility Upgrade Project on Jan. 10 at the Hellman Tennis Complex. Director of Athletics Sandy Barbour, lead donor Kent Newmark, women’s tennis head coach Amanda Augustus and men’s tennis head coach Peter Wright spoke to the assembled crowd. The four later donned hard hats and wielded ceremonial shovels to commemorate the occasion.
The scope of the project includes a series of improvements that will benefit the powerhouse men’s and women’s tennis teams as well as fans of both programs:
- New building housing men’s and women’s team locker rooms, restrooms and showers
- New public restrooms for fans
- New elevated seating extending from court No. 1 to court No. 6
- New team lounge/academic room
Local architecture firm ELS and general contracting firm Vila Construction – both of which have worked extensively on other projects on the Cal campus – will be teaming up on this eight-month project. Cal Athletics has received gifts and pledges to cover the cost of the renovation, and the tennis teams are continuing to raise funds for scholarships and branding efforts associated with the broader, $3.6 million campaign.
Some matches during the 2014 season may be moved to the Channing Courts on campus when construction could impact play. Fans should check CalBears.com for updates throughout the year.
Cal hosts one of 15 ITA Kick-Off Weekend competitions taking place around the country from Jan. 24-25. The Bears will take on Santa Clara at 10 a.m. on Jan. 24, with Washington playing UNLV at approximately 1 p.m. later that day. The two losing teams will play each other in a consolation match at 10 a.m. on Jan. 25, while the two winning teams play in the championship match at about 1 p.m. on Jan. 25. The winner of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Berkeley will advance to play in the 2014 ITA National Team Indoor Championship from Feb. 7-10 at the Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va. The University of Virginia will host the indoor tournament.