BERKELEY – Sixteenth-ranked California (1-0) plays No. 33 Alabama (3-0) on Friday at 1 p.m. in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Malibu, Calif. The winner of the four-team event, which includes host and No. 12 Pepperdine (1-0) as well as No. 41 San Diego (0-0), advances to the ITA National Men’s Team Indoor Championships held from Feb. 14-17 in Houston, Texas.
The winners of the two Friday matches – including the Pepperdine-USD match at 10 a.m. – face off at 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Ralphs-Strauss Tennis Center for the right to play in Houston. Friday’s losing teams play in a consolation match at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
Last Time Out
Andre Goransson's singles win against San Francisco gave No. 16 California a 4-0 victory in the Golden Bears' opening dual match of the spring season on Jan. 21 at the Channing Tennis Courts in Berkeley. A freshman, the 85th-ranked Goransson posted a 6-3, 6-0 triumph over the Dons' Rich Van Hout on court four.
The Bears have a 1-0 record, with the Dons opening 2014 at 0-1.
The Cal freshman pair of Goransson and Bergevi won the first match, 6-1, in doubles against USF’s Germain Bahri/Thomas Takemoto on court three. The veteran duo of juniors Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton clinched the doubles point for the Bears with a 6-2 victory over Brockstedt and Timothy Tan on court two. Court-one action – featuring McLachlan and senior Campbell Johnson playing Saraiva/Nils Skajaa – was abandoned.
Scouting the Bears
- Senior Campbell Johnson is ranked No. 74 in the ITA singles poll
- Johnson posted an 11-3 record in the fall, when he held a No. 41 ITA ranking
- Freshman Andre Goransson is ranked No. 85 in the ITA poll
- Goransson, the brother of former Cal women’s player Annie Goransson, compiled a 12-3 fall record
- Senior Ben McLachlan held a No. 27 ITA ranking in the fall
- McLachlan and sophomore Mads Engsted held a No. 41 ITA preseason doubles ranking
- Peter Wright (Cal ’91) is in his 21st year as head coach at his alma mater
Scouting the Field
- Two Alabama players are ranked in the ITA singles poll: No. 14 Daniil Proskura and No. 51 Becker O’Shaughnessy
- The Alabama pair of Proskura and O’Shaughnessy is ranked No. 57 in doubles
- Pepperdine also has two ranked singles players: No. 33 Alex Sarkissian and No. 58 David Sofaer
- USD’s Clarke Spinosa is ranked No. 27 in singles
- George Husack is in his second year as head coach at Alabama
- Pepperdine’s Adam Steinberg is in his 12th season as head coach
- Brett Masi is in his fifth season as San Diego’s head coach
Cal hosts Hawaii on Jan. 30 at 1:30 p.m. and Saint Mary’s on Feb. 1 at 1 p.m.