SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Since Santa Clara booted California from the 2013 NCAA Tournament last November, the Golden Bears have long-awaited another chance to prove themselves against the Broncos. On Sunday afternoon at Buck Shaw Stadium, they did just that as No. 23 Cal downed No. 10/20 Santa Clara 2-1 in overtime on a successful penalty kick from senior Lorin Hom in the 93rd minute. The Bears are now 2-0 after their season-opening weekend.
The victory is Cal’s first outright win over Santa Clara since 2008, with most of the meetings since then ending in a draw between the two highly competitive and familiar Bay Area rivals.
Santa Clara jumped out with a 1-0 lead in the first half when Jenna Roering ran down the right side and crossed it over to Kat Mcauliffe waiting about one yard out. Mcauliffe placed it in the net and the Broncos held on through the half. At the 64th minute, the Bears capitalized on a corner kick with and junior Samantha Witteman tied it up.
Regulation ended with a 1-1 tie between the two well-matched teams, and after some contact in the box, the Bears earned a penalty kick in the 93rd minute. Hom took the kick and calmly rocketed into the net for the win.
The Bears return to the pitch on Friday at a tournament at the University of San Francisco, where they will meet LIU Brooklyn at 4:30 p.m. in Negoesco Stadium.
GOLDEN BEAR GOALS
64’ – Samantha Witteman (assisted by Annia Mejia) – cross from the baseline into the left side of the goal
Witteman says: We got a corner, and Grace had a great flick over to Ify (Onumonu), who dropped the ball at Annia near the keeper. Annia did a Cruyff behind her toward me. I had an open net because the goalie had stepped on Annia and I knocked it in.
93’ – Lorin Hom – penalty kick
Hom says: I thought it was really important to put the game away right there. Ify was the one who made the run to get us there. I felt like we dominated most of the game and we were the better team for most of the game, so I didn’t feel too pressured.
SANTA CLARA’S GOAL
38' - Kat Mcauliffe (assisted by Jenna Roering) - Roering took it down the right side and crossed it left toward Mcauliffe
NEWS & NOTES
- This is Cal’s first outright win over Santa Clara since 2008, when the Bears beat the Broncos 1-0 in Berkeley in September 2008.
- The Bears are 18-16-7 against the Broncos in series history. Since 2008, four of the last seven meetings between the teams have ended in double overtime draws. Cal lost to Santa Clara in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- This is the second consecutive game in which Lorin Hom has scored a goal. She scored the first goal of the season Friday against USF.
- Tori Bolden made her Golden Bear debut in Sunday’s game, while Thelma Einarsdottir entered a game for the first time since 2012.
Down 1-0 in the second half, Grace Leer issued a couple of key headers to try to help the Bears to the equalizer. Her first try, a header near the right post, went wide, but her second header started a chain of passing that ultimately led to Cal’s game-tying goal from Samantha Witteman. Leer headed the ball left toward Ifeoma Onumonu, who passed it into a trio of attackers that went from Annia Mejia to Witteman. Witteman had four shots on goal in six tries in today’s win.
Cal stays local with a tournament in San Francisco on the University of San Francisco’s Negoesco Stadium. The Bears meet LIU Brooklyn on Friday, Aug. 29 at 4:30 p.m. and Portland State on Sunday, Aug. 31 at noon.
ON THE BOX SCORE
1. 37:33 SCU Mcauliffe, Kat (1) (Roering, Jenna) - run down right side by 12, cross to 6 yard
2. 63:38 CAL WITTEMAN,SAMANTHA (MEJIA,ANNIA) - cross from baseline
3. 92:20 CAL HOM,LORIN Penalty kick
Shots: CAL 19, SCU 7
Saves: CAL 4 (BOYD,EMILY 4), SCU 7 (Tostanoski, Andi 7)