BERKELEY – Twelfth-ranked California brings its unbeaten Pac-12 record into huge clashes with No. 13 USC and No. 3 UCLA this week at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears – who have a 12-4 overall record and 5-0 conference mark – host the Trojans (14-4, 5-0 Pac-12) on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and host the Bruins (17-1, 5-0 Pac-12) at noon on Saturday.
Cal played each team in nonconference dual matches earlier this season, falling at UCLA, 4-3, on Feb. 21 and losing at USC, 6-1, on Feb. 22.
Campus Kids Day on Saturday
Saturday is also a USTA Campus Kids Day at Cal, with the Golden Bears hosting activities at the Channing Tennis Courts from 10:45-11:45 a.m. Campus Kids Days are great opportunities to expose more junior players (and their parents and coaches) to college tennis varsity team matches. Participants can check out the team, check out the campus and take in the added activities that the coaches have planned for Campus Kids' Day.
If you plan on attending the event at Cal on Saturday, please register here.
Many of the Northern California collegiate campus' participate in USTA Campus Kids' Days. NCAA rules prohibit high school students (grades 9-12) from participating in the extra Kids Day activities, but they can certainly come enjoy the tennis match.
Food and refreshments will be provided. Opportunities to get out on the courts, watch exhibition matches, listen to the coaches talk strategy, contests, raffles, prizes and more! And everything is free!
After beating No. 19 Arizona State, 7-0, and No. 29 Arizona 5-2, Cal moved up one spot from No. 13 in the April 1 ITA poll. USC and UCLA each moved down one place in this week’s poll. The ITA will release its next set of singles and doubles rankings next week on April 8.
Klara Fabikova Named Pac-12 Player of the Week
California’s Klara Fabikova collected the Pac-12 Player of the Week award this week, the conference office announced on Tuesday. A sophomore, Fabikova earned the conference honor for winning all four of her matches in the Golden Bears’ wins over No. 19 Arizona State, 7-0, and No. 29 Arizona, 5-2.
The duo of Fabikova and senior Kelly Chui also clinched the doubles point in both victories, which improved Cal’s overall record to 12-4 (5-0 in the Pac-12). Against the Sun Devils on March 28, Fabikova and Chui defeated Joanna Smith and Stephanie Vlad, 8-2. They beat the Wildcats’ Akilah James and Susan Mc Rann, 8-4, two days later.
In singles, Fabikova was the first to complete her match on each day and lost just two games total. She overpowered ASU’s Leighann Sahagun, 6-2, 6-0, and then shut out Arizona’s Shayne Austin, 6-0, 6-0.
This award marks Cal’s second of the season, as junior Zsofi Susanyi claimed the honor on Feb. 11.
Scouting the Bears
- Junior Zsofi Susanyi (22-8 record) holds Cal’s highest singles ranking at No. 14
- Freshman Denise Starr (17-7) and senior Anett Schutting (20-10) are ranked back-to-back at 29th and 30th, respectively
- Sophomore Lynn Chi (22-8) remains at No. 43
- Freshman Maegan Manasse (23-5) is ranked No. 78
- The duo of Manasse and Schutting (10-5) is ranked 43rd in doubles
- Starr and senior Kelly Chui (4-4) are ranked 46th in doubles
- The tandem of Chi and Schutting (9-5) is No. 60
- Former NCAA doubles champion and All-American Amanda Augustus is in her seventh season as head coach at her alma mater
- Associate head coach Cordell Ho, another Cal alum, is in his 17th season on the Cal women’s staff
- Jan Brogan, who retired in 2007 after serving 29 years as the Golden Bears’ head coach, is Cal’s volunteer assistant coach
Scouting the Trojans
- USC has four ranked singles players and three ranked doubles pairs
- The Trojans’ ranked singles players are No. 15 Sabrina Santamaria, No. 26 Zoe Scandalis, No. 69 Giuliana Olmos and No. 90 Zoe Katz
- USC’s ranked doubles teams are No. 7 Scandalis/Olmos, No. 12 Katz/Brynn Boren and No. 22 Santamaria/Kaitlyn Christian
- Richard Gallien is in his 19th season as head coach at USC
Scouting the Bruins
- UCLA plays at Stanford on Friday at 1:30 p.m.
- Five Bruins are ranked in singles, and three UCLA teams are ranked in doubles
- The Bruins ranked in singles include the following: No. 4 Robin Anderson, No. 11 Chanelle Van Nguyen, No. 16 Jennifer Brady, No. 40 Kyle McPhillips and No. 55 Catherine Harrison
- These are UCLA’s ranked doubles teams: No. 1 Brady/Anderson, No. 5 Harrison/McPhillips and No. 27 Brady/Harrison
- Stella Sampras Webster is in her 18th year as UCLA’s head coach
Cal journeys to the Pacific Northwest to play No. 48 Washington State on April 11 and take on Oregon on April 13.