BERKELEY - Locked in a fourth-place tie in the Pac-12 standings heading into the final week of the regular season, California looks to finish strong at home and secure a top-four seed in next week’s conference tournament. The Golden Bears, 18-11 overall, enter the week tied with Colorado and Stanford for fourth in the league standings with a 9-7 conference mark. Cal, with a 12-3 record at home this season, meets Utah (March 5) and Colorado (March 8) for the first time this season. The Bears and Utes tip-off at 8:05 p.m. (PT) on Wednesday at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley.
Wednesday’s game will be televised on ESPNU with Beth Mowins (play-by-play) and Jon Crispin (analyst) on the call. The Cal/IMG radio network will broadcast the action on KGO 810 AM in the Bay Area beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT) with Roxy Bernstein (play-by-play) and Todd McKim (analyst).
• Cal’s returning starters (Justin Cobbs (15.8 ppg.), Tyrone Wallace (11.5 ppg.), David Kravish (11.3 ppg.) and Richard Solomon (10.9 ppg.)) are contributing 66.1 percent (1411-of-2135) of the scoring.
• Head Coach Mike Montgomery has already secured his 31st winning season in 32 years as a collegiate coach. Montgomery is the Pac-12 Conference’s third-winningest coach of all-time with 281 league wins in his 24th season coaching in the conference. Montgomery is also the ninth-winningest active Division I men’s basketball coach with 674 career wins. He ranks 27th on the NCAA’s all-time list, just one victory shy of former Louisville coach Denny Crum.
• Justin Cobbs was named a finalist for the Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award. Cobbs, the Pac-12’s active career assist leader with 495 in his third season at Cal after transferring from Minnesota, moved ahead of Jason Kidd (1992-94) for fourth in school history in career assists last time out at Arizona State. Cobbs ranks 24th nationally in assists at 5.8 apg.
• At 9.8 rpg, Richard Solomon has led the Pac-12 all season and ranks 18th nationally in rebounding.
• Through 22 all-time meetings between Cal and Utah, the Bears lead the all-time series, 13-9. Cal has captured five of the last six games in the series overall.
• Wednesday will mark the second time this season Mike Montgomery will coach against one of his former players. Utah’s Larry Krystkowiak played under Montgomery at Montana from 1982-86. In a 75-47 victory over Southern Utah on Nov. 18, Montgomery matched up against SUU Head Coach Nick Robinson. The SUU mentor played for Montgomery at Stanford from 2001-04.