BERKELEY - After a setback to No. 3 Arizona in Tucson Wednesday, Cal travels north in the Grand Canyon State to Tempe for a Saturday matchup with Arizona State. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. (PT) at Wells Fargo Arena. The Golden Bears continue a challenging stretch to end the regular season with three of its final four opponents in the top 30 of the latest NCAA RPI in Arizona (2), Colorado (26) and Arizona State (30). Cal enters Saturday’s game 18-10 overall and 9-6 in the Pac-12, locked in a four-way tie for third place in the conference with Arizona State, Stanford and Colorado.
Saturday’s game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks with JB Long (play-by-play), Matt Muehlebach (analyst) and Jill Savage (reporter) on the call. The Cal/IMG radio network will broadcast the action on KGO 810 AM in the Bay Area beginning at 2:30 p.m. (PT) with Roxy Bernstein (play-by-play) and Todd McKim (analyst).
GOLDEN BEAR NOTES
• Cal’s returning starters (Justin Cobbs (15.8 ppg.), Tyrone Wallace (11.6 ppg.), David Kravish (11.3 ppg.) and Richard Solomon (11.2 ppg.)) are contributing 66.2 percent (1374-of-2075) of the scoring.
• Head Coach Mike Montgomery has already secured his 31st winning season in 32 years as a collegiate coach. Montgomery is the Pac-12 Conference’s third-winningest coach of all-time with 281 league wins in his 24th season coaching in the conference. Montgomery is also the ninth-winningest active Division I men’s basketball coach with 674 career wins. He ranks 27th on the NCAA’s all-time list, just one victory shy of former Louisville coach Denny Crum.
• Justin Cobbs was named a finalist for the Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award. Cobbs, the Pac-12’s active career assist leader with 494 in his third season at Cal after transferring from Minnesota, is tied with Jason Kidd (1992-94) for fourth in school history in career assists. Cobbs ranks 15th nationally in assists at 6.0 apg.
• At 9.9 rpg, Richard Solomon has led the Pac-12 all season and ranks 19th nationally in rebounding.
• Freshman Jordan Mathews, who is averaging 8.8 ppg. overall, has averaged 12.7 ppg. in 10 road games compared to 6.7 ppg. in 15 home contests. He is shooting .433 from the field on the road compared to .356 at home.
• Freshman Jabari Bird is averaging 9.3 ppg., while playing an average of 21.7 minutes in his last three games. In his previous three games he had averaged 2.0 ppg. in 9.7 mpg. He has played 11 games since missing time with a sprained ankle. In his first eight contests back from injury, Bird averaged 3.8 ppg. in 14.8 mpg.
• Through 74 all-time meetings, Cal and ASU have each won 37 games in the series. Cal has won five of the last seven in the series, however the Sun Devils have captured the last two meetings.