BERKELEY - California welcomes USC to Pete Newell Court at Haas Pavilion on Sunday at 5:07 p.m. (PT). Sunday’s contest will be the Bears’ annual Pete Newell game as the program honors former Cal standout Earl Shultz with the Pete Newell Career Achievement Award in a special halftime ceremony.
For tickets to Sunday's Cal-USC game, click here.
Sunday’s game will be televised on Fox Sports 1 with Rob Stone (play-by-play) and Brevin Knight (analyst) on the call. The Cal/IMG radio network will broadcast the action on KGO 810 AM in the Bay Area beginning at 4:30 p.m. (PT) with Todd McKim (play-by-play) and Jay John (analyst).
GOLDEN BEAR NOTES
• Cal’s four returning starters (Justin Cobbs (15.7 ppg.), Tyrone Wallace (11.8 ppg.), Richard Solomon (11.5 ppg.) and David Kravish (11.5 ppg.)) are contributing 66.6 percent (1291-of-1939) of the Bears’ points this season.
• Justin Cobbs was named a finalist for the Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award. Cobbs, the Pac-12’s active career assist leader with 485 in his third season at Cal after transferring from Minnesota, ranks fifth in school history in career assists, just nine behind Jason Kidd (494 assists from 1992-94). Cobbs is tied for 13th nationally in assists at 6.1 apg.
• At 11.5 ppg. and 10.2 rpg., Richard Solomon is one of three individuals (Tennessee’s Jarnell Stokes and Kentucky’s Julius Randle are the others) playing in the six BCS conferences to average a double-double. He has led the Pac-12 in rebounding all season and is tied for the top spot among individuals in the BCS Conferences. Solomon ranks 15th in the nation in rebounding.
• Freshman Jordan Mathews, who is averaging 8.9 ppg. overall, has averaged a team-best 17.3 ppg in three contests against the Los Angeles schools. The guard posted 18 points each in his first meeting with USC and UCLA in LA and recorded 16 points on Wednesday vs. the Bruins.
• Tyrone Wallace is averaging 14.0 ppg. over his last six games, including three 20-point games during the stretch (20 vs. ASU, career-best 21 vs. Stanford, 20 at Washington). He has 11 3-pointers in his last six games and is shooting .423 from 3-point range during the stretch.
• Cal and USC will meet for the 253rd time, with the Golden Bears holding a 130-122 advantage in the all-time series. Cal has won four of the last five games, with the Trojans snapping the Bears’ four-game winning streak in the series earlier this season.
EARL SHULTZ TO RECEIVE PETE NEWELL CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD SUNDAY
Earl Shultz, who served on the Golden Bears’ 1959 NCAA Championship team and 1960 Final Four squad playing under head coach Pete Newell, is the 2014 recipient of the Pete Newell Career Achievement Award. The guard was an honorable mention All-American in 1960 (United Press) and a third team All-American (Helms Athletic Foundation) in 1961.
COBBS FINALIST FOR BOB COUSY AWARD
Justin Cobbs has been selected as a finalist for the 2014 Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced on Feb. 17. The annual honor, recognizes the top point guard in men’s college basketball.
Cobbs ranks second in the Pac-12 and 13th nationally, averaging 6.1 apg.. The senior is the Pac-12’s active career assist leader with 485 in 93 career games at Cal. He ranks fifth in school history in assists, just nine behind Jason Kidd (494 assists from 1992-94). His 5.2 apg. career average ranks third at Cal. The guard also ranks third in the Pac-12 in assist/turnover ratio (2.4), ninth in free throw percentage (.807), and 11th in scoring (15.7 ppg.). In league games, Cobbs is tied for fifth in the Pac-12 with 17.2 ppg. He has recorded seven 20-point games overall this season, including a career-best 31-point performance against Dayton in the Maui Invitational. He has posted at least seven assists in a game 13 times this season.