BERKELEY – Eighth-ranked California (0-0) hosts one of 15 ITA Kick-Off Weekends when it hosts No. 43 Washington (2-0), No. 50 UNLV (0-0) and 66th-ranked Santa Clara (0-0) on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 24-25, at the Hellman Tennis Complex. Augustus’ squad plays the Broncos at 10 a.m. on Friday in its first dual match of the season, with UNLV facing the Huskies at 1 p.m. on Friday. The two losing teams face off at 10 a.m. on Saturday, and the two winning teams play Saturday at 1 p.m. for the right to advance to the ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championship.
Last year, Cal swept Fresno State, 7-0, and Saint Mary’s, 7-0, at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Berkeley to qualify for last season’s national indoor tournament.
Cal remained at No. 8 in the Jan. 21 ITA team rankings. The ITA will release its next team rankings on Jan. 29 and announce its next singles and doubles rankings on Feb. 11.
Scouting the Bears
- Cal’s ranked singles players include the following: 15th-ranked freshman Denise Starr, who posted an 8-1 singles record in the fall, 16th-ranked junior Zsofi Susanyi (10-4), 26th-ranked senior Anett Schutting (9-5), 31st-ranked freshman Maegan Manasse (7-2) and 95th-ranked sophomore Lynn Chi (9-5)
- The doubles team of Susanyi and sophomore Klara Fabikova (4-2 record last fall) – which won the top doubles title at the Cal Nike Invitational in September – earned a No. 18 ranking from the ITA, while the pair of Susanyi and Starr (3-1) claimed a No. 48 ranking
- Susanyi paired with Starr at the recent Cal Winter Invitational (see below)
- Previously ranked No. 23 in singles, Fabikova compiled a 9-5 singles record last fall
- Ranked 11th in the ITA fall doubles poll, the Cal doubles team of Schutting and Chi has posted a 5-4 record so far this year, though each played with a different partner at the Cal Winter Invitational (see below)
- Former NCAA doubles champion and All-American Amanda Augustus is in her seventh season as head coach at her alma mater
- Associate head coach Cordell Ho, another Cal alum, is in his 17th season on the Cal women’s staff
- Jan Brogan, who retired in 2007 after serving 29 years as the Golden Bears’ head coach, is Cal’s volunteer assistant coach
Last Time Out
Anett Schutting capped a strong tournament by capturing both the singles and doubles titles as the Cal Winter Invitational came to a close on Jan. 19 at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Cal 26th-ranked senior finished with a 3-0 singles record and with freshman teammate Maegan Manasse posted a 3-0 doubles mark in Cal’s round-robin event.
Cal won eight of nine matches on Jan. 19 and ended the three-day Cal Winter Invitational, which did not feature head-to-head team action, by winning a total of 31 of 33 matches. The event included Saint Mary’s, which was ranked 37th in the ITA’s team poll, 56th-ranked Fresno State and unranked Cal Poly.
On Jan. 19, the Bears opened with four doubles matches at Hellman, with the duo of Schutting and Manasse defeating Fresno State’s Aishwarya Agrawal and Sophie Watts, 8-3, on court one. The 48th-ranked team of Denise Starr and Zsofi Susanyi held off FSU’s Tanya Murtagh/Sofya Malysheva, 8-5, on court two, while Klara Fabikova and Lynn Chi topped the Bulldogs’’ Claire Yang/Anneka Watts, 8-2. Cal also played one match against Cal Poly, with senior Kelly Chui and junior Cecilia Estlander handling the Mustangs’ Bryn Bacharach and Mika Padmanabhan, 8-5.
Scouting the Field
- Santa Clara’s Katie Le sits at No. 35 in the ITA singles rankings
- UNLV’s Lucia Batta is ranked 29th
- In Hawaii, Washington opened its dual season by defeating host Hawaii, 6-1, on Jan. 18 and beating then-No. 42 Long Beach State, 7-0, on Jan. 19
- Kevin Cory is in his 14th year as head coach at UNLV
- Washington’s Jill Hultquist is in her ninth year as head coach
- Ben Cabell is in his sixth season as Santa Clara’s head coach
Cal hosts San Francisco at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 31.