BERKELEY – The Golden Bears will vie for spots in the upcoming USTA/ITA National Women’s Indoor Championships when they play in the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships from Friday, Oct. 18, through Tuesday, Oct. 22, in Stanford, Calif. The winner of each event at the regional gains automatic entry into the indoor championships slated for Nov. 7-10 in New York City.
There are a total of 12 NCAA Division I regional championships taking place around the country, with regionals also occurring at the Division II, Division III, NAIA and junior college levels.
A Look at the 2012 Regional
California concluded a strong run in the 2012 USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships with appearances in Oct. 23 finals, as Anett Schutting in singles and Tayler Davis and Annie Goransson in doubles fell to their Cardinal counterparts at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium in Stanford, Calif.
Schutting, the fourth seed and 22nd-player in the nation, took fifth-seeded Krista Hardebeck - the top-ranked freshman in the nation - to three sets on the latter's home court before ultimately dropping a 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (4) match. The sixth-seeded pair of Davis-Goransson lost to top-seeded Stacey Tan-Ellen Tsay, 8-4.
Scouting the Bears
- Six Golden Bears earned seeds in the Women’s Open Singles draw at the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships
- All the singles seeds earned byes in the opening round of 128 at Stanford
- Junior Zsofi Susanyi, ranked No. 4 in the ITA preseason singles poll, is the top seed at the regional
- Senior Anett Schutting, who claimed a No. 5 ranking, is the No. 2 seed
- Sophomore Klara Fabikova, who is ranked 23rd, is the seventh seed
- Sophomore Lynn Chi, ranked 44th in singles, in the No. 8 seed
- Freshman Denise Starr is the No. 13 seed
- Freshman Maegan Manasse is the No. 16 seed
- Cal earned three seeds in the Women’s Open Doubles draw – a 64-team field – at Stanford; all the seeds earned first-round byes
- The duo of Schutting and Chi – the 11th-ranked team in the nation – has the top seed at the regional
- Fabikova and Susanyi claimed a No. 25 preseason ranking, though Fabikova will pair with Manasse at Stanford; the two Bears claimed the No. 7 seed
- Susanyi will pair with Starr at the regional; the Bears earned the No. 8 seed
- Former All-American Amanda Augustus (Cal ’99) is in her seventh season as head coach of her alma mater
- Associate head coach Cordell Ho (Cal ’72) is in his 17th season working with Cal tennis
- Former Cal head coach Jan Brogan is the Bears’ volunteer assistant coach; the legendary coach led the program for 29 years and retired after the 2006-07 season
Not counting the indoor championships, Cal next plays in the ASU Thunderbird Invitational from Nov. 8-10 in Tempe, Ariz.