BERKELEY – California will next compete in the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships at Saint Mary’s College and the Moraga Country Club from Oct. 18-22 in Moraga, Calif. The winner of each event at the regional gains automatic entry into the USTA/ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championships slated for Nov. 7-10 in New York City.
The draws for the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships have yet to be released.
There are a total of 12 NCAA Division I regional championships taking place around the country, with regionals also occurring at the Division II, Division III, NAIA and junior college levels.
Bears Beat the Danish National Team
The Golden Bears hosted a set of exhibition matches against the Danish national team on Oct. 15 at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Danes’ roster included former Cal star Christoffer Konigsfeldt, who completed his college career last spring. Playing in a typical college dual-match format, with three doubles and six singles matches, Cal upended the visitors, 5-2.
Denmark won two out of three to clinch the doubles point. The Cal pair of junior Gregory Bayane and junior Chase Melton beat the tandem of Christopher Raben and Alex Konigsfeldt – the older brother of Christoffer and a UC Santa Barbara alumnus – 6-3, in the Bears’ lone doubles victory. Cal senior Campbell Johnson and freshman Filip Bergevi lost to Thomas Kromann/Jacob Melskens, 6-4, and sophomores Mads Engsted and Wyatt Houghton fell to the pair of Christoffer Konigsfeldt and Rasmus Moller, 6-4, in the other two doubles matches.
In singles, Houghton’s 6-4, 5-6(8), 1-0(8) victory over former teammate Christoffer Konigsfeldt on court six clinched the overall team win for Cal.
Earlier senior Ben McLachlan trailed Kromann, 3-2, in the first set on court one before retiring due to injury. On court five, junior Nikhil Jayashankar notched Cal’s first point by besting Moller, who retired after falling in the first set, 6-5(7); Cal trailed 2-1. The Bears pulled even at 2-2 when Bergevi continued a strong fall by topping Melskens, 6-5(5), 6-0, on court two and took a 3-2 lead when Johnson knocked off Alex Konigsfeldt, 6-3, 6-3, on court three.
After Houghton’s win, Cal wrapped up the day with Engsted’s 6-5(5), 6-3 victory over Raben on court four.
A Look at the 2012 Regional
The 2012 singles and doubles champion at the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships in Moraga, current Cal senior Ben McLachlan will not get a chance to defend either title in this year’s regional due to injury. Last season, he paired with his brother, Riki McLachlan, to claim the doubles crown with an 8-6 victory over Joakim Norstrom and Jesse Kiuru of Saint Mary's. Ben McLachlan beat Santa Clara's John Lamble, 6-2, 6-2, to capture the singles championship.
Scouting the Bears
- Senior Campbell Johnson, who earned a No. 41 ITA preseason singles ranking, is the No. 2 singles seed in Moraga
- Junior Gregory Bayane and freshman Andre Goransson claimed No. 9 seeds at the regional
- Freshman Filip Bergevi and sophomore Mads Engsted are among several players with No. 17 seeds
- In doubles, the Cal team of Johnson and Bergevi earned a No. 6 seed and the pair of Chase Melton and Bayane is one of several teams with a No. 9 seed
- McLachlan and Engsted earned a No. 41 doubles ranking in the ITA preseason poll
- The ITA will release its first set of team rankings – and its next set of singles and doubles polls – on Jan. 2
- Cal ended last spring with a final ITA ranking of No. 17
- Peter Wright (class of 1991) is in his 21st season as head coach at his alma mater
- Associate head coach Tyler Browne – Cal class of 2008 – is in his sixth year on Wright’s staff
Cal – with its participation in the indoor championships to be decided – plays in the Pacific Tiger Invitational from Nov. 1-3 in Stockton, Calif.