BERKELEY – California has a busy week this week, with Ben McLachlan and Campbell Johnson winging their way to the 2013 Saint Francis Health System ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla., and many of the Golden Bears heading to UC Davis for the Aggie Invitational.
McLachlan, a senior ranked 27th in the ITA preseason singles poll, and Johnson, a senior ranked 41st, will play in the 64-player main draw at the All-American, with their first matches slated for Thursday, Oct. 3, at the University of Tulsa's Michael D. Case Tennis Center. Thirty two doubles teams will also begin their main draw on Thursday.
The Aggie Invitational will run from Friday through Sunday, Oct. 4-6, with matches beginning at 9 a.m. each day.
Scouting the Bears
- Ben McLachlan played in the Napa Valley Challenger on Sept. 24, falling to Alex Kuznetsov, the 130th-ranked player in the world, 6-1, 6-4, in the round of 32
- Johnson and McLachlan did not compete in the Harvard Chowder Fest with the rest of the Cal team from Sept. 13-15 in Boston due to injury, but they played against the USTA Junior National Team on Sept. 18 in Berkeley
- McLachlan and sophomore Mads Engsted earned a No. 41 doubles ranking in the ITA preseason poll
- Cal hosted the Audi Napa Valley Tennis Classic, from Sept. 20-22 at the Meadowood Napa Valley Resort
- Junior Nikhil Jayashankar posted a 3-0 singles record in Group 8 play to win the group and advance to a playoff; he fell to Florida State’s 57th-ranked Dominic Cotrone, 11-9, in quarterfinals.
- Also at Meadowood, freshman Andre Goransson posted a 2-1 record, junior Gregory Bayane notched a 1-2 record and freshman Filip Bergevi wound up at 1-2 in singles group play
- The ITA will release its first set of team rankings – and its next set of singles and doubles polls – on Jan. 2
- Peter Wright (class of 1991) is in his 21st season as head coach at his alma mater, while associate head coach Tyler Browne – Cal class of 2008 – is in his sixth year
Scouting the Field
- The singles field in the main draw at the All-American Championships will include many of the players ranked in the ITA preseason poll, including No. 1 Mikelis Libietis (Tennessee), No. 2 Alex Domijan (Virginia), who is the defending champ at the All-American, No. 3 Peter Kobelt (Ohio State), No. 4 Ryan Lipman (Vanderbilt) and No. 5 Romain Bogaerts (Wake Forest)
Some Bears will play in the Battle of the Bay from Oct. 11-13 in San Francisco and some will play in the UCSB Classic from Oct. 11-13 in Santa Barbara, Calif. Bayane won the UCSB Flight A singles title last season.