4:30 p.m. PT – No. 1/2 Cal (5-0-1) vs. Santa Clara (3-4-0)
Goldman Field/Edwards Stadium – Berkeley, Calif.
Series Record vs. Santa Clara: 28-12-8
Last Time vs. Santa Clara: W, 2-1, 8/24/12 in Santa Clara, Calif.
Coverage: Live Stats, Twitter
Admission/Single-Match Tickets: Adult $10, Senior $5, Youth free, Cal students w. valid ID free
*Seniors are considered 65 and above
*Youths are considered 12th grade and under
BERKELEY – Unbeaten California hosts Santa Clara in a local derby on Friday at 4:30 p.m. on Goldman Field at Edwards Stadium. The Golden Bears – ranked No. 1 in three major polls and No. 2 in the coaches’ poll – bring a 5-0-1 record into the nonconference match against the 3-4-0 Broncos.
When the two teams met last year, now former Bear Tony Salciccia converted a 72nd-minute penalty kick to lead Cal past host Santa Clara, 2-1, at Buck Shaw Stadium. Glenn Vass scored later in the 72nd minute for the Broncos. Current senior Alec Sundly scored the Bears’ first goal in the 18th minute. Cal has a 28-12-8 record in the all-time series with the Broncos.
For the first time in its 107-year history, Cal claimed the No. 1 ranking in three major polls this week, as Soccer America magazine, Soccer Times and TopDrawerSoccer.com moved the Golden Bears to the top spot. The Bears are also ranked No. 2 in the NSCAA top 25 and fourth in the CollegeSoccerNews.com poll.
Birnbaum Claims Spot on CSN Team of the Week
Steve Birnbaum earned a spot on the CollegeSoccerNews.com Team of the Week for the second time this season, after his strong play in two wins at home. The defender scored his fourth goal of the year in 3-0 win over Colgate on Sept. 20 and netted his fifth goal of the year in a 3-1 win over the College of Charleston on Sept. 22. The Cal co-captain also marshaled a stingy defense that allowed just one goal over those two games.
'Birny’s Blog' Debuts
The fifth-year senior also debuted “Birny’s Blog” on CalBears.com this week. Birnbaum will recount Cal’s games as well as give some insight into the team away from the pitch in his weekly blog.
Scouting the Bears
- Defender Steve Birnbaum added to his team-high goals total with his fourth and fifth goals in Cal’s 3-0 win over Colgate on Sept. 20 and 3-1 on win over the College of Charleston on Sept. 22
- Birnbaum, a fifth-year senior, also leads Cal in points with 11
- Birnbaum scored the first goal with his foot in the run of play in his career in the win over Charleston; of his other four goals this year, three came on headers and one on a penalty kick
- Of the two goals Birnbaum scored before this season, one came on a header and the other on a PK
- Senior midfielder Alec Sundly has collected two goals and one assist this year; both goals are gamewinners
- Junior midfielder Seth Casiple – who set up two goals against Colgate – paces the Bears in assists (4)
- Sophomore Justin Taillole has compiled a 0.64 goals-against average and a .800 save percentage after starting every game this season
- Cal’s co-captains are Birnbaum, Casiple and Sundly
- Kevin Grimes is in his 14th season as head coach at Cal; the former SMU All-American (class of 1990) claimed five Pac-10 Coach of the Year awards (2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010) before the Conference became the Pac-12 in 2011
Scouting the Broncos
- After starting the season 0-4, Santa Clara has won three straight
- In their last two games, the Broncos won at San Jose State, 1-0, on Sept. 19 and at UC Irvine, 2-1, on Sept. 22
- Santa Clara has a 2-2 road record
- Freshman midfielder Edson Cardona leads SCU in goals (2) and is tied for the team high in points (4)
- Sophomore forward James Huffer leads his team in assists (2) and is tied with Cardona in points (4)
- Sophomore goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh has posted a 1.26 GAA after playing every minute in the Santa Clara goal this year
- Cameron Rast is in his 12th year as head coach at his alma mater
Cal opens Pac-12 Conference play when it hosts Oregon State on Oct. 3 and Washington on Oct. 6.