|Hometown:||Ponte Vedra, Fla.|
|High School:||The Bolles School|
- Completed the backstroke double for the third year in a row at the 2016 NCAA Championships and was named CSCAA co-Swimmer of the Year along with former Bolles School teammates Joseph Schooling of Texas and Caeleb Dressel of Florida.
- Set the American, NCAA and U.S. Open record in the 100 backstroke on the leadoff leg of the 400 medley relay at the 2016 NCAA Championships only to break the record again the next night with a swim of 43.39. 24 hours later, he broke those same records (which he already owned) in the 200 with a time of 1:35.73.
- Named 2016 Pac-12 Swimmer of the Year in a vote of conference coaches. Second straight year he earned the award and third year in a row (2014 Newcomer/Freshman of the Year) that he won an end-of-season honor from the conference.
- Spent portions of the 2015-16 season training long course in preparation for the 2016 Rio Olympics and did not compete at the Pac-12 Championships. Instead, he competed at the Orlando Arena Pro Series event and beat 2012 Olympic champion Matt Grevers and Michael Phelps in the 100-meter backstroke as well as winning the 200 backstroke.
- Earned Pac-12 Swimmer of the Month honors twice (January, February) in 2016. Was also named TeamUnify/CollegeSwimming.com Swimmer of the Week in late January.
- Named NCAA, CSCAA and Pac-12 Swimmer of the Year in 2015 after earning his second-straight national title in both the 100 and 200 backstroke. Set then-American, NCAA and U.S. Open records in the 200 with his time of 1:36.77. Also set an NCAA record in the 100 with a time of 44.17 on his leadoff leg of the 400 medley relay in which the Bears finished third.
- Also won a NCAA title as part of the Bears' 200 medley relay team. Swam the leadoff leg and teamed with Chuck Katis, Justin Lynch and Tyler Messerschmidt to stop the clock in 1:22.40, a time that broke the American record Cal set in 2014.
- Won his first two NCAA individual titles in the 100 (44.63) and 200 back (then-NCAA record 1:37.35) in 2014.
- Was a 2014 NCAA champion as a member of the Bears' 200 free relay (second leg 18.75), American record 200 medley relay (backstroke leg 20.90) and 400 medley relay (backstroke leg 44.91).
- Named 2014 Pac-12 Newcomer of the Year.
- Was a 2014 CSCAA Scholar-Athlete with a 3.7 GPA as a freshman and backed that up in 2015 by earning a spot on the Pac-12 All-Academic first team.
- Is a member of the U.S. National Team in the 100 and 200 back entering the 2015-16 season.
- Part of Team USA's gold medal swim in the 400 medley relay at the 2015 World Championships in Russia. Swam the backstroke leg on a team that included two other Golden Bears (Nathan Adrian, Tom Shields).
- At the 2014 Pan Pacifics was third in the 100 back and fourth in the 200 back.
- At the 2014 U.S. Nationals won silver medals in both the 100 and 200 back.
- Won bronze medal in the 200-meter backstroke and gold medal in the medley relay at 2012 FINA Short Course Meters World Championships.
- National championship in the 200 back (1:38.15) at AT&T Winter Nationals.
- Bronze Medal in the 200m Backstroke at the 2011 Pan American Games.
- Bronze Medal in the 200m Backstroke at the 2011 Junior World Championships.
- Third Place Finish in the 2013 World Championship Trials in the 100 Back (53.38) and 200 Back (1:56.32).
- Gold Medal at the 2013 US Open in the 200 Backstroke (1:55.87).
- Set 17 different NAG Records.
High School Success:
- Named 2013 National High School Swimmer of the Year.
- 15 Time Florida High School Class 1A State Champion.
- Set the National High School Record in the 100 Back (45.32) in November, 2012.
- Member of three High School National Record Breaking Relays: 200 Medley relay (1:28.02), 200 Free Relay (1:19.27), and the 400 Free Relay (2:54.43).
- Set the National Independent High School Records in the 50 Free (19.54) and 100 Free (42.95).
- Parents are Pat and Katy Murphy.
- Undeclared major with an interest in business.
- Born July 2, 1995 in Palos Heights, Ill.
100 Back 43.49
200 Back 1:35.73
200 IM 1:40.27
100 Back 53.21
200 Back 1:55.73