Welcome to the New CalBears.com
California, in partnership with Neulion, has re-launched CalBears.com with a cleaner, easier-to-navigate design and an emphasis on mobile, social and video platforms to better serve Golden Bear fans. The website, powered by the NeuLion College Platform, also becomes part of the Pac-12’s new unified digital network.
The intent of these moves is to provide fans with a more streamlined experience on a singular platform that delivers a variety of new features for a more user-friendly and interactive experience.
Among new features visitors to CalBears.com will see:
- Responsive Design – which means CalBears.com will adjust automatically for desktop, tablet and mobile devices. This ensures that information is most efficiently placed on the site and is easier to view and navigate. With more and more fans visiting CalBears.com on devices other than their desktop computers, responsive design will allow them better access to all of the site’s features.
- Social Media Integration – Fans can connect with each of the Golden Bear team Twitter and Facebook pages through the sports dropdown menu at the top of the homepage. In addition, the lower portion of the homepage includes a direct link to the @CalAthletics Twitter feed with the ability for fans to interact directly, and the site will soon include a comprehensive social media hub that is expected to become live before the start of the fall seasons.
- Improved Video Platform – Working with the Pac-12 Networks and its partners, video on CalBears.com will play a more prominent role on the site. It will also be more viewable on tablets and mobile devices unlike in the previous version that relied on flash and was not compatible with iPhones and iPads.
- Integration with the Pac-12 – Several common elements are being placed on each of the Pac-12 school sites. On CalBears.com, fans will see a Pac-12 dropdown menu in the upper right corner that includes links to all other conference schools, the Pac-12 website, a channel finder for Pac-12 Networks and an easy-to-read daily Pac-12 Networks schedule that can be customized to the national feed or any regional feed (such as Pac-12 Networks Bay Area), simplifying visitors’ ability to follow the Bears on TV. In addition, all conference sites will feature an “Around the Pac-12” module that will contain conference news and information relevant to all fans.
- Schedule, Video and Bear Blog – The schedule for Cal events plays a more prominent role and fans who receive Pac-12 Networks through their cable or satellite provider can access it via a “TV Everywhere” authentication through Pac-12.com directly from the schedule. Additionally, a direct link to videos in the upper right corner of the homepage makes them more accessible with fewer clicks required to watch, and a more visible link to the Bear Blog just below the main stories links to features and behind-the-scene tidbits on Cal Athletics. Later this summer, fans should begin to see more video features and interviews, as well as upgraded special sections, such as gameday information.
“For the last 12 months we have been gathering information from Pac-12 fans in order to deliver the kind of engaging experience they are looking to have with their favorite teams, universities and each other,” Pac-12 Digital Vice President/General Manager David Aufhauser said. “The creation of a unified network focused on mobile, video and social content will enable all Pac-12 athletic departments to build a deeper connection and great digital experiences for their fans.”
Because of the complexity and volume of data moving to the new site, some elements may take several takes to transfer properly. Visitors to CalBears.com should feel free to contact Cal Athletics with any questions or suggestions by clicking here to send an email request.