April 11, 2008
EUGENE, Ore. -
The No. 5 California women's tennis team (15-4, 6-1 Pac-10) defeated the No. 46 Oregon Ducks (10-11, 3-4 Pac-10) by a 6-1 score today at the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Ore. to remain in the hunt for the Pac-10 title. The Golden Bears move to 6-1 in the Pac-10 Conference with one league match remaining against rival Stanford. Cal senior Cristina Visico won her 100th singles match as a Bear, defeating Anna Powaska on court three, 6-3, 6-3.
Freshman No. 12-ranked Marina Cossou clinched the 15th win of the year for Cal with her 6-2, 6-3 win against No. 78 Celine Rolly on the top court. Cal took control of the match early on, winning the doubles point in convincing fashion as courts two and three each took 8-3 victories against their Duck counterparts. Junior No. 91 Claire Ilcinkas notched her 25th singles win of the season to kick things off in singles play, dropping Stephanie MacFarlane, 6-1, 6-1 on court four. Freshman Rachael Dillon finished up next on court six by defeating Claudia Hirt, 6-2, 6-0 to set Cossou up for the clincher.
Following Cossou, junior No. 102 Bojana Bobusic pushed the score to 5-0 in favor of the Bears with her 6-2, 6-2 win over Ana Cecilia Olivos on court five. No. 34-ranked Visico's milestone victory came next on the third court as she defeated Powaska. With the match decided, senior No. 16 Susie Babos's match on court two went to a third set tiebreaker. Babos was unable to get things started up again, falling to Carmen Seremeta by a 7-4 score. Babos lost the first set 7-5 but fought back to take the second, 6-4 before losing to Seremeta in the third.
The Bears return home to host Sacramento State for Senior Day next Friday (April 18) in a 1:30 p.m. start. Please check CalBears.com for updates and information.
No. 5 California 6, No. 46 Oregon 1
Apr. 11, 2008 | Student Tennis Center | Eugene, Ore.
1. Powaska/Rolly (UO) def. No. 20 Babos/Kusano (CAL) 6-5(0)
2. Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Hirt/Seremeta (UO) 8-3
3. Bobusic/Visico (CAL) def. MacFarlane/Olivos (UO) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 12 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. No. 78 Celine Rolly (UO) 6-2, 6-3
2. Carmen Seremeta (UO) def. No. 16 Susie Babos (CAL) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0(4)
3. No. 34 Cristina Visico (CAL) def. Anna Powaska (UO) 6-3, 6-3
4. No. 91 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Stephanie MacFarlane (UO) 6-1, 6-1
5. No. 102 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. Ana Cecilia Olivos (UO) 6-2, 6-2
6. Rachael Dillon (CAL) def. Claudia Hirt (UO) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1*, 5, 3, 2