March 29, 2002
PULLMAN, Wash. - The University of California women's tennis team was downed by Washington State in the Bears' Pac-10 opener at the Stadium Way Tennis Center in Pullman this afternoon. With the loss, the Bears drop to 9-4 on the season, with Washington State improving to 8-6.
In singles, sophomore Catherine Lynch continued to shine for the Bears' improving her record to a team-best 9-1 on the season in duals. On Friday, the No. 113 player moved to the third court for the first time, dominating Washington State's Sallai 6-0, 6-2. Lynch also combined with Carla Arguelles to play on the third doubles court, winning 8-5 there.
Cal will travel west tomorrow to take on the University of Washington in Seattle.
Cal: 9-4, 0-1
WSU: 8-6, 1-2
(50) Perkins (WSU) def. (42) Kops-Jones (Cal), 6-3, 7-6(3)
(72) McKenna (WSU) def. (74) Jacobs (Cal), 6-4, 6-2
(113) Lynch (Cal) def. Sallai (WSU), 6-0, 6-2
(82) Fusano (Cal) def. Arias (WSU), 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
Gaal (WSU) def. Scheldt (Cal), 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
Martinez (WSU) def. Arguelles (Cal), 7-6 (4), 6-3
(14) Perkins/McKenna (WSU) def. (44) Kops-Jones/Scheldt (Cal), 8-5
Arias/Martinez (WSU) def. Fusano/Jacobs (Cal), 8-6
Arguelles/Lynch (Cal) def. Fodor/Sallai (WSU), 8-5