Postgame Notes: California-Arizona State
With today¿s victory, California improved to 18-6 to equal its win total for all of last year when the Golden Bears finished 18-15. Cal has now won at least 18 games in all four seasons under Mike Mon
By Cal Athletics on Sat, February 04, 2012
Feb. 4, 2012
- With today’s victory, California improved to 18-6 to equal its win total for all of last year when the Golden Bears finished 18-15.
- Cal has now won at least 18 games in all four seasons under Mike Montgomery. Only two other Cal coaches have led their teams to at least 18 wins in four consecutive seasons. Pete Newell did it four years in a row from 1957-60 and Ben Braun did it five times from 1999-2003.
- Arizona State shot 38.3 percent, from the floor, to become the 13th Cal opponent to shoot under 40 percent this year.
- Cal has won five games in a row over ASU, and seven of the last eight contests.
- The Bears made eight three-pointers; their highest total in a game since sinking 11 against UC Santa Barbara on Dec. 19.
- Cal has held three Pac-12 opponents to under 50 points, this year – also USC (49) and Utah (45).
- Cal did not allow ASU to make a field goal until 14:51 remained, in the first half. The Bears led, 13-1, before the first Sun Devil bucket went in.
- One game after making its first 11 free throw attempts before missing, Cal sank its first 12 foul shots before its first miss against ASU.
- Cal held ASU to 16 points in the first half – the eighth time, this year, a Golden Bear opponent has failed to reach 20 points at the break.
- With 19 points, Allen Crabbe reached double figures for the 20th time this season; the 40th time in his career.
- Allen Crabbe moved into Cal’s single-season top-10 list for three-pointers today. With three against the Sun Devils, he now has 62 to put him in a tie for sixth place. He also had 62 three-pointers all of last year.