Oct. 20, 2007
STANFORD, Calif. - The California women's tennis team continued play on the courts of the Taube Family Tennis Stadium at the 2007 Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional tournament today in Stanford, Calif. Three Golden Bears advanced through two rounds of play today and will play in tomorrow's quarterfinal round. Top-seeded senior Susie Babos dropped the middle set against Saint Mary's Marah Calvo but recovered to win 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 before eliminating Stanford's Jennifer Yen 6-4, 6-1 for the right to advance to the quarterfinal.
No. 10-seeded senior Cristina Visico won each of her matches in straight sets, first defeating UC Davis' Desiree Stone 6-2, 6-2 and then taking a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Sacramento State's Katsiaryna Zheltova. Junior Bojana Bobusic and freshman Rachael Dillon each defeated their opponents in the round of 32 to set up a head-to-head meeting in the round of 16. Bobusic walked away with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over fellow Cal teammate to become the third Golden Bear to qualify for the quarterfinal round. Each Cal quarterfinal match-up will be against Fresno State entries.
In doubles play, the fifth-seeded pair of Babos and senior Stephanie Kusano defeated Sacramento State's Anastassia Lyssenko and Aileen Tsan, 8-3 and will meet Fresno State duo Renata Kucerkova/Anastasia Petukhova in a 9:30 a.m. round of 16 match on Sunday. Babos will also face Petukhova in her singles quarterfinal match. In the Cal versus Cal doubles match-up, eighth-seed Marina Cossou and Claire Ilcinkas defeated Bojana Bobusic and Rachael Dillon eight games to two.
There are a total of eight regional qualifying tournaments throughout the country that determine the field of participants for the ITA National Indoor Championships held in Columbus, Ohio from Nov. 1-4. The two singles finalists and the doubles champion emerging from this weekends' play will earn berths into the ITA National Indoor Championships. In addition to host school Stanford and Cal, this regional includes top players from the following Northwest region schools: Cal Poly, Fresno State, Gonzaga, Nevada, Oregon, Pacific, Sacramento State, Saint Mary's, San Francisco, San Jose State, Santa Clara, UC Davis, Washington and Washington State.
Play continues on Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m. with the doubles quarterfinal. For complete schedule, draw and results, please visit www.GoStanford.com and click on women's tennis or visit www.tennislink.usta.com
Open Singles Quarterfinal Round
(1) CAL Susie Babos vs. (6) FSU Anastasia Petukhova - 10:30 a.m.
(10) CAL Cristina Visico vs. FSU Tinesta Rowe - 10:30 a.m.
CAL Bojana Bobusic vs. (2) FSU Melanie Gloria - 10:30 a.m.
Open Singles Semifinal
Matches determined by quarterfinal winners begin at 1 p.m.
Open Doubles Quarterfinal
(5) CAL Susie Babos/Stephanie Kusano vs. (4) FSU Renata Kucerkova/Anastasia Petukhova - 9:30 a.m.
(8) CAL Marina Cossou/Claire Ilcinkas vs. (3) STAN Lindsay Burdette/Celia Durkin - 9:30 a.m.
Consolation Singles Round of 16
CAL Daron Moore vs. SMC Erin Young - TBD
Women's Open Singles Results (Round of 16)
(1) CAL Susie Babos def. STAN Jennifer Yen 6-4;6-1
(10) CAL Cristina Visico def. (8) SAC Katsiaryna Zheltova 6-2;6-3
CAL Bojana Bobusic def. CAL Rachael Dillon 6-2;6-4
Women's Open Singles Results (Round of 32)
(1) CAL Susie Babos def. SMC Marah Calvo 6-4;2-6;6-4
STAN Carolyn McVeigh def. (9) CAL Stephanie Kusano 6-4;6-4
(10) CAL Cristina Visico def. UCD Desiree Stone 6-2;6-2
(8) SAC Katsiaryna Zheltova def. CAL Claire Ilcinkas 6-7(5);7-5;6-4
CAL Rachael Dillon def. SMC Stef Ordoveza 6-1;2-6;6-2
CAL Bojana Bobusic def. STAN Lindsay Burdette 6-2;6-0
(16) STAN Hilary Barte def. CAL Marina Cossou 6-3;6-2
Women's Open Doubles Results (Round of 16)
(5) CAL Susie Babos/Stephanie Kusano def. SAC Anastassia Lyssenko/Aileen Tsan 8-3
(8) CAL Marina Cossou/Claire Ilcinkas def. CAL Bojana Bobusic/Rachael Dillon 8-2