Cal-Arizona Postgame Notes
Today was Cal's second overtime game of the year. The Bears defeated Washington State, 88-81, on Jan. 13. It was also Cal's first multiple OT since winning, 88-85, in triple OT at Washington on Jan. 1
By Cal Athletics on Sat, February 05, 2011
Feb. 5, 2011
- Today was Cal's second overtime game of the year. The Bears defeated Washington State, 88-81, on Jan. 13. It was also Cal's first multiple OT since winning, 88-85, in triple OT at Washington on Jan. 10, 2009.
- This was Cal's third triple OT ever. Other than today and the 2009 UW game, the only other one was a 93-86 loss at Stanford in 1972.
- The last time Cal played as many as three overtimes at home was a 107-102 five OT win over Oregon on Feb. 10, 1977 - the longest game in school history.
- Cal's 105 points were its most in a game since downing Jackson State, 117-74, on Dec. 5, 2007.
- Arizona, which is ranked 21st in this week's Associated Press poll, is the fifth ranked opponent for the Bears this season, joining then-No. 20 Temple, then-No. 14 San Diego State, then-No. 3 Kansas and then-No. 17 Washington. The Bears are 1-4 vs. ranked teams this year (d. Temple, 57-50).
- Seven of Cal's 11 Pac-10 games this year have been decided by 5 points or less or in overtime.
- With 33 points, Harper Kamp reached double figures for the 12th consecutive game. He has had at least 20 five times this season. His 33 points are a career high, breaking the mark of 25 he had vs. New Mexico on Nov. 20. He added 10 rebounds for his second double-double.
- Jorge Gutierrez scored a career-high 25 points. His previous best was 21 at Arizona State on Jan. 8, 2011. He made his first eight shots before missing and has scored in double figures each of the last four games (76 points, 19.0 ppg) after having tallied at least 10 points just once in his previous four.
- Jorge Gutierrez (25), Harper Kamp (33) and Allen Crabbe (27) became the first Cal trio to score at least 20 points in a game this year. The combined for 85 of Cal's total 105 points.
- Brandon Smith dished out a career-best 11 assists. He had nine vs. Washington State on Jan. 13, 2011.
- Cal's first substitution in the second half came with 4:44 left when Markhuri Sanders-Frison went to the bench with four fouls. Richard Solomon was the first Cal player off the bench to score in the game, making a free throw with 4:37 left in the second OT. Along with a tip-in in the second OT, Solomon had 3 points - the entire contribution of Cal's bench.
- Cal held Arizona's Derrick Williams to 12 points, tying his season low. He entered the game averaging 19.9 ppg and had 31 vs. Cal during the first game this year in Tucson. Williams did grab 18 rebounds today before fouling out.
- Fast Starts, Part II: Cal was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor at the first media timeout during Thursday's game vs. Arizona State. Tonight, the Bears made 5-of-7 shots at the first media TO. <./ul>