May 23, 2005
STANFORD, Calif. - California junior Miguel Molina led a large contingent of current and former Golden Bears with wins in the 200-meter breaststroke (2:21.36) and 200-meter individual medley (2:05.06) at the inaugural Stanford Invitational Grand Prix held Friday, May 20, through Sunday, May 22, at Stanford. Also, Cal sophomore Rolandas Gimbutis won the 50-meter freestyle (22:81) and freshman Dominik Meichtry won the 200-meter free (1:49.95) at Stanford's Avery Aquatic Center, whose field for the Invitational included Cal's U.S. Olympian Natalie Coughlin and Cal's Croatian Olympian Duje Draganja.
Molina, swimming unattached, also took 15th place (2:18.14) in the 200 backstroke at Stanford. Meanwhile, Gimbutis, who like many of the other Bears was swimming for the California Aquatics club, won the 50 free over a field that included fourth-place Cal freshman Jernej Godec (23.42) and 11th-place Cal freshman Dash Rothberg (24.72). Gimbutis also took second place (50.62) in the 100 free to U.S. Olympian Michael Phelps (49.82). Also in the 100 free, Meichtry was fifth (50.95) and Draganja, who completed his Cal career this season, was sixth (51.00).
The top results for the Cal women included Coughlin's second-place finish (2:16.25) in the 200 IM, sophomore Sherry Tsai's second-place finish (1:04.18) in the 100 backstroke, junior Ashley Chandler's fourth-place finish (4:23.03) in the 400 free, sophomore Erin Reilly's sixth-place finish (2:05.69) in the 200 free, sophomore Anne Babicz's seventh-place finish in the 100 breaststroke (1:15.25), Coughlin's eighth-place finish (4:27.74) in the 400 free and Chandler's eighth-place finish (2:08.67) in the 200 free.
Results of Current and Former California Golden Bears at the May 20-22 Stanford Invitational Grand Prix
Friday, May 20
Women's 100-Meter Freestyle
9. Erin Reilly (California Aquatics) 58.46. 13. Lauren Medina (California Aquatics) 59.44. 14. Sherry Tsai (California Aquatics) 59.83. 20. Lauren Andrews (California Aquatics) 59.85. 21. Anne Babicz (California Aquatics) 1:00.18.
Men's 100-Meter Freestyle
2. Rolandas Gimbutis (California Aquatics) 50.62. 5. Dominik Meichtry (Unattached) 50.95. Duje Draganja (California Aquatics) 51.00. 12. Jonas Tilly (Unattached) 52.27. 13. Jernej Godec (California Aquatics) 52.41.
Women's 200-Meter Breaststroke
11. Genevieve Patterson (California Aquatics) 2:47.80.
Men's 200-Meter Breaststroke
1. Miguel Molina (Unattached) 2:21.36.
Women's 200-Meter Butterfly
13. Rachel Ridgeway (California Aquatics) 22:23.48.
Men's 200-Meter Butterfly
13. Patrick O'Neil (Unattached) 2:11.50.
Saturday, May 21
Women's 200-Meter Individual Medley
2. Natalie Coughlin (California Aquatics) 2:16.25. 11. Sherry Tsai (California Aquatics) 2:25.20. 19. Anne Babicz (California Aquatics) 2:26.25. 23. Rachel Ridgeway (California Aquatics) 2:28.66. 24. Erin Reilly (California Aquatics) 2:32.63.
Men's 200-Meter Individual Medley
1. Miguel Molina (Unattached) 2:05.60.
Women's 400-Meter Freestyle
4. Ashley Chandler (California Aquatics) 4:23.03. 8. Natalie Coughlin (California Aquatics) 4:27.74. 11. Lauren Medina (California Aquatics) 4:27.26. 14. Erin Reilly (California Aquatics) 4:29.08.
Men's 400-Meter Freestyle
18. Ryan Lean (Unattached) 4:11.74.
Women's 100-Meter Breaststroke
7. Genevieve Patterson (California Aquatics) 1:17.37.
Sunday, May 22
Men's 200-Meter Freestyle
1. Dominik Meichtry (Unattached) 1:49.95.
Women's 100-Meter Butterfly
16. Erin Reilly (California Aquatics) 1:07.16.
Men's 100-Meter Butterfly
3. Jernej Godec (California Aquatics) 55:08.