March 9, 1998
The 1997 NCAA champion California Men's gymnastics team (15-0) dominated five Top 25 nationally ranked teams at UC Santa Barbara last Saturday with a season-high 233.490 overall score to win their second consecutive Gold's Challenge Invitational. The third-ranked Bears set many school records as they breezed by No. 6 Penn State (227.780), No. 10 Illinois (227.780), No. 5 Michigan (223.500), UC Santa Barbara (221.650) and No. 17 Stanford (216.950).
The undefeated Bears set a new all-time Cal record on the horse with a 39.250 total. They also totaled 38.990 points on the rings and 38.850 on the vault to place second and third on Cal's all-time lists, respectively, in those events. Their final score is second-best to the 233.825 school all-time record set at the NCAA Championships last season.
There were numerous individual accomplishments in this meet for the Bears. Oleg Kosyak's first-place 58.280 all-around total toppled Cal's all-time record of 58.200 set by Bob Sundstrom in 1988. Kosyak tied for first on the high bar with Josh Birckelbaw and David Eskilden (9.800), tied with Eskilden for second place on the horse with a career-high 9.800 and tied with Andrew Hampy for second on the floor (9.750).
Evgenni Zherebchevskiy set career-highs on the parallel bars (9.800) and the floor (9.800) to earn first place in both events. His second place 9.880 score on the rings was a season-high and is second-best to the 9.925 school record he set at Stanford last season. Zherebchevskiy also recorded a career-high 9.750 on the horse for fourth place.
Brickelbaw scored a career-high 9.900 on the horse for top honors and a third place rank in Cal's record book for that event. Hampy set a career-high 9.750 on the vault to tie for second place.
The Bears host Stanford, Temple and Massachusetts on Fri., March 13 at 7:30 p.m. in their last home meet of the season before heading to Tempe for a triad against Arizona State and No. 7 Oklahoma on Sun., March 15.
MARCH 7 MEET RESULTS:
1. California-233.490, 2. Penn--227.780, 3. Illinois--227.110.
1. Evgenni Zherebchevskiy (CAL)--9.800, 2. Oleg Kosyak (CAL) and Andrew Hampy (CAL)--9.750.
1. Josh Birkelbaw (CAL)--9.900, 2. Kosyak (CAL) and David Eskildsen (CAL)--9.800.
1. Ron Roeder (PENN)--9.900, 2. Zherebchevskiy (CAL)--9.880, 3. Mike Dutka (PENN)--9.850.
1. Travis Romagnoli (ILL)--9.800, 2. Dutka (PENN) and Andrew Hampy (CAL)--9.750.
1. Zherebchevskiy (CAL)--9.800, 2. LaLo Haro (MICH)--9.750 and Jason Katsampes (STAN)--9.750.
1. Kosyak (CAL) and Birckelbaw (CAL) and Eskildsen (CAL)--9.800.
1.Kosyak (CAL)--58.280, 2. Romagnoli (ILL)--58.080, 3. Dutka (PENN)--57.900.