No. 11 Cal Loses PK Shootout to No. 2 Stanford in 2nd Round of NCAA Tournament
Courtesy: Cal Athletics  
Release:  11/18/2007

Nov. 18, 2007

Box Score |  Quotes

STANFORD, Calif. - No. 11 California rallied late in regulation to send the game into overtime but was eliminated in the second round of the NCAA Tournament by losing a penalty kick shootout, 7-6, against No. 2 Stanford Sunday afternoon at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium. The Golden Bears conclude their season with a 15-5-1 record, while the Cardinal is 15-2-5.

Stanford grabbed a 1-0 lead with a goal by Kristin Stannard in the 35th minute. Ali Riley sent a cross from the right side just inside the penalty box, and Stannard one-timed a shot to the left side of the goal.

With 1:50 left in regulation, Cal freshman Alex Morgan tied the game at 1-1 by scoring on a header off a long free kick by sophomore goalkeeper Gina Pellegrini. The goal was Morgan's team-leading eighth of the season, and it was Pellegrini's second assist of the year.

The teams played two 10-minute overtime periods, and neither team scored. The match goes down as a tie for both teams, but Stanford moves on to play Connecticut in the third round of the NCAA Tournament by winning the penalty kick shootout. Cal went 7-0-1 over its final eight games of 2007.

Cal sophomore midfielder Katie Oakes made a game-saving play with 2:45 remaining in the first overtime period. Riley was heading towards goal with a one-on-one opportunity with Pellegrini, but Oakes slid to knock the ball out of harms way.

Redshirt sophomore Rosie Aguilera entered the game in goal in place of Pellegrini, who made three saves today, for the shootout. Alex Gamble also entered the game in goal for Stanford in place of Erica Holland, who secured one save.

Cal went first during the shootout and missed its first attempt. The Bears evened the score at 3-3, and then Lizzy George, the Cardinal's fourth shooter, hit her attempt off the cross bar to give Cal new life. Each team made their fifth penalty kick attempt, sending the shootout to sudden death. In sudden death, both teams made their first two kicks. After a Cal miss, Stanford's Allison Falk netted the game-winning seventh penalty kick.

Cal senior Stephanie Wieger launched the first shot of the game in the second minute to the left of the goal. The Cardinal then reeled off five unanswered shots before redshirt sophomore Katherine Daiss had a shot blocked with under five minutes left that led to a Bears' corner kick. Cal held a 3-1 edge in corner kicks in the first half.

Stanford held an 11-7 shot advantage for the game, but Cal owned a 5-3 advantage in the second half and had the majority of the possession. Freshman defender Megan Jesolva led Cal with two shots, both coming in the second half.

Today marked the final game for Cal's seven seniors - Courtney Hooker, Laurie Gartrell, Nicole Jarbo, Caitlin Hannegan, Caroline Lea, Krisine Relja and Wieger.