Feb. 16, 2008
The No. 9 California women's tennis team (3-2) walked away with a 7-0 sweep of UC Davis (3-4) in a make-up match today at Hellman Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears were originally slated to face the Aggies on Feb. 3 but the match was postponed due to inclement weather conditions. Junior Claire Ilcinkas sealed the match for Cal by defeating Kaitlin Callan 6-1, 6-1 on court four to give the Bears their fourth point of the day.
Earlier, Ilcinkas teamed up with freshman Marina Cossou to get a win on the second doubles court, notching an 8-2 victory over Jenna Kappel and Herzyl Legaspi to help the Bears on their way to three doubles wins. Cossou and Ilcinkas got help from their teammates as courts three and one finished first and second respectively to give the Bears the doubles point early on. On the first court, the No. 36-ranked duo of seniors Susie Babos and Stephanie Kusano got an 8-3 win over Robin Guier and Randi Schuler. Junior Bojana Bobusic reunited with freshman Rachael Dillon to get the most lopsided doubles win of the day with an 8-1 win over Anita Athavale and Emma Shapiro.
In singles play, Babos got things started off for the Bears, taking a 6-1, 6-1 win against Schuler. Schuler was able to save one match point, battling back for several deuces before notching her only game of the second set. Babos served for the match in game seven and closed things off with a quick victory. Bobusic followed suit with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Anita Athavale on court five before Ilcinkas won on court four to give Cal the win.
Senior Cristina Visico got a 6-0, 6-0 win against Legaspi on court three next and Kusano took a 6-0, 6-0 sweep of Sidney Brady to bring the Bears within one win of sweeping the Aggies. After winning the first set 6-3, Cossou held a 4-2 lead on Guier in the second. Guier fought back and held serve to get her third point but Cossou held serve and then broke Guier in the ninth game to give the Bears the 7-0 win.
Cal will host rival No. 3 Stanford at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday (Feb. 20) in a midweek match. Please check CalBears.com for updates and stats.
No. 9 California 7, UC Davis 0
Feb. 16, 2008 | Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
1. No. 36 Babos/Kusano (California) def. Guier/Schuler (UC Davis) 8-3
2. Cossou/Ilcinkas (California) def. Kappel/Legaspi (UC Davis) 8-2
3. Bobusic/Dillon (California) def. Athavale/Shapiro (UC Davis) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1*, 2 - California wins the doubles point
1. No. 10 Susie Babos (California) def. Randi Schuler (UC Davis) 6-1, 6-1
2. Marina Cossou (California) def. Robin Guier (UC Davis) 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 54 Cristina Visico (California) def. Herzyl Legaspi (UC Davis) 6-0, 6-0
4. Claire Ilcinkas (California) def. Kaitlin Callan (UC Davis) 6-1, 6-1
5. No. 31 Bojana Bobusic (California) def. Anita Athavale (UC Davis) 6-0, 6-1
6. Stephanie Kusano (California) def. Sidney Brady (UC Davis) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 1, 5, 4*, 3, 6, 2