Jan. 8, 2005
BERKELEY, Calif. -
A LOOK AT THE GOLDEN BEARS
- Cal (8-6, 2-3 Pac-10) visits No. 24 Arizona State (10-4, 2-2 Pac-10) Sunday, Jan. 9 at 2 p.m. MT (1 p.m. PT) and No. 8 Stanford Thursday, Jan. 13 at 7 p.m. PT, wrapping up a stretch of five Pac-10 road games in the first seven conference contests.
- Cal leads the all-time series with ASU, 22-20, but the Sun Devils swept the series in 2003-04. ASU defeated Cal, 56-52, in Berkeley and 62-43 in Tempe. In 2002-03, Cal won two of three games from ASU, including a first round Pac-10 Tournament game (46-38). The Bears' last road win over ASU came in 1998-99 (67-63).
- Cal is coming off an 80-69 loss at Arizona Jan. 7. The Golden Bears led 5-1 but fell behind 34-22 at the half. Cal almost overcame the deficit with one of its best offensive halves (47 points) of the season.
- The Sun Devils lost to Stanford, 68-57 Jan. 7, with Emily Westerberg leading the way with a career-high 22 points.
- Freshman center Jessica Lawson and senior center Khadijah Coakley posted career highs of 19 and 15 points, respectively, against Arizona. Lawson also tied her career high for blocks (3), and Coakley matched her career high for rebounds (6).
- Four of Cal's five starters average double-figure points, led by senior forward Leigh Gregory at 12.9 ppg, followed by senior guard Kristin Iwanaga and senior forward Kiki Williams at 10.6 ppg, and Lawson at 10.5 ppg.
- Lawson leads Cal in rebounding (5.2 ppg) and blocks (1.0 bpg, 14 total).
- Sophomore guard Sarah Pool paces the Bears in assists (4.4 apg) and steals (24 total). Pool and ASU's Amy Denson played together at Crater High School in Oregon.
- Gregory scored eight points against Arizona and is eight points shy of becoming the 17th Cal player to reach the 1,000-point plateau.
- Iwanaga and Williams each donned the blue and gold for the 100th time vs. the Wildcats. Gregory has seen action in 96 games.
- ASU head coach Charli Turner Thorne was an assistant coach for Cal head coach Caren Horstmeyer from 1990-93 when the two were at Santa Clara.