Feb. 9, 2008
MADISON, Wisc. - The No. 7 California women's tennis team (2-2) was edged in a 4-3 loss in its second consecutive match, falling against No. 9 Miami (5-1) to end play in the quarterfinal consolation today at the 2008 ITA National Team Indoor Championships at Nielson Tennis Stadium on the campus of the University of Wisconsin.
Facing the Hurricanes' Bianca Eichkorn, junior No. 31 Bojana Bobusic fought back in her second set but was unable to wrestle away a victory and came away with a 6-4, 6-4 defeat, clinching Miami's fifth win of the season with a single loss coming at the hands of No. 1 Stanford earlier in the week. Senior Stephanie Kusano came up with a 6-0, 6-1 win on court six to tie the match at 1-1 but the Canes battled back to take a 2-1 lead when Michaela Kissell defeated senior No. 54 Cristina Visico 6-1, 6-4 on court three.
Senior Susie Babos dropped her first set on court one 6-3, but came back to win the second 6-4. The third went to the wire but Babos was unable to overcome No. 29 Laura Vallverdu, falling 6-4 to give Miami its third point of the day. With the match decided, junior Claire Ilcinkas completed her win over Caren Seenauth 7-6, 6-4 on court five, winning the first set tiebreaker 7-5. Freshman Marina Cossou also took a win in her three-setter to close the day for the Bears, beating Romy Farah 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 for Cal's third and final point.
In doubles play, the Bears took an early lead when Cossou and Ilcinkas teamed up to get the 8-2 win against Kissell and Sabatino. The Canes tied things up on the third court with Eichkorn and Seenauth defeating Bobusic and freshman Rachael Dillon 8-2. On court one, No. 36 Babos and Kusano fell in a 9-8 heartbreaker to Miami's Farah and Vallverdu, gaining only one point in the match tiebreaker and surrendering the doubles point to the Hurricanes.
The Bears will have a week off before they host No. 1 Stanford at home on Feb. 20 at 1:30 p.m. For complete information and results from the 2008 ITA National Team Indoor Championships, please visit www.itatennis.com
No. 9 Miami 4, No. 7 California 3
Feb. 9, 2008 | ITA National Team Indoor Championship Quarterfinal Consolation
Nielson Tennis Stadium | Madison, Wisc.
1. Farah/Vallverdu (Miami) def. No. 36 Babos/Kusano (Cal) 9-8(1)
2. Cossou/Ilcinkas (Cal) def. Kissell/Sabatino (Miami) 8-2
3. Eichkorn/Seenauth (Miami) def. Bobusic/Dillon (Cal) 8-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1* (Miami wins doubles point)
1. No. 29 Laura Vallverdu (Miami) def. No. 10 Susie Babos (Cal) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. Marina Cossou (Cal) def. Romy Farah (Miami) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Michaela Kissell (Miami) def. No. 54 Cristina Visico (Cal) 6-1, 6-4
4. Bianca Eichkorn (Miami) def. No. 31 Bojana Bobusic (Cal) 6-4, 6-4
5. Claire Ilcinkas (Cal) def. Caren Seenauth (Miami) 7-6(5), 6-4
6. Stephanie Kusano (Cal) def. Claudia Wasilewski (Miami) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1, 4*, 5, 2