April 3, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. - The University of California women's tennis team was defeated by Stanford today, 7-0, at the Taube Tennis Center in Stanford this afternoon. With the loss, the Bears drop to 10-5 on the season, while the Cardinal wins its seventh straight, improving to 16-1.
Cal's Catherine Lynch and Carla Arguelles challenged the Cardinal duo of Tokuda/Tweedie-Yates, with the match going into extra games before the Bears were ultimately defeated, 9-7. Likewise in singles, team captain Christina Fusano and Jieun Jacobs looked to make an early run, with both first sets going into extra games. Jacobs' match came down to a tiebreaker. She then smashed Lauren Barnikow in the second set, 6-1. However, Barnikow went on to win in the third, 6-2.
The Bears next opponent will be UCLA, Friday at 1:30 at the Hellman Tennis Center in Berkeley.
1) No. 10 Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. No. 36 Raquel Kops-Jones (CAL) 6-1, 6-4
2) No. 18 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) def. No. 73 Catherine Lynch (CAL) 6-1, 6-1
3) No. 14 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. No. 71 Jieun Jacobs (CAL) 7-6, 1-6, 6-2
4) No. 24 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. No. 60 Christina Fusano (CAL) 7-5, 6-3
5) Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Jody Scheldt (CAL) 6-2, 6-3
6) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Carla Arguellas (CAL) 6-1, 6-3
1) No. 3 Kalvaria-Lastra (STAN) def. No. 44 Kops-Jones-Scheldt (CAL) 8-3
2) No. 15 Barnikow-Burdette (STAN) def. Fusano-Jacobs (CAL) 8-5
3) Tokuda-Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Lynch-Argulles (CAL ) 9-7