LOS ANGELES – Eighteenth-ranked California completed a difficult trip to Southern California with a 4-0 loss at second-ranked USC on Saturday at Marks Stadium.
The Golden Bears’ record fell to 12-5 and 2-2 in the Pac-12, while USC improved to 22-2 and 4-0 in the Pac-12.
In doubles, the Cal pair of senior Ben McLachlan and freshman Andre Goransson opened with an 8-3 loss to Nick Crystal/Roberto Quiroz on court two. The Trojans clinched the doubles point when Cal freshman Filip Bergevi and sophomore Mads Engsted lost to Max de Vroome/Eric Johnson, 8-6, on court three.
Cal trailed 2-0 when 89th-ranked senior Campbell Johnson lost to No. 3 Ray Sarmiento, 6-0, 6-1, on court two. Junior Gregory Bayane also lost in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, on court five to Johnson, and then Bergevi fell to the 56th-ranked Quiroz, 7-5, 6-4, to give USC the 4-0 victory.
One day ago also in Los Angeles, Cal lost to No. 3 UCLA, 4-1.
“We’re disappointed that we didn’t come away with a win this weekend,” Cal head coach Peter Wright said, “but it’s also fair to say that UCLA and USC are two of the top teams in the country. We had some positive performances in singles and doubles, and overall we’re looking ahead to having another shot at these teams at the Pac-12 Championships later this month. Now we’re focused on our final three home matches, and we’re excited to be home for the first time in over a month.”
The Bears return to the cozy confines of the Hellman Tennis Complex for an April 11 match against Oregon and an April 12 contest again Washington. The clash with the Huskies will also double as Jim McManus Legends Day, in which Cal will honor late alumnus Jim McManus as well as other stars from its storied history. The Bears end the regular season at home with the April 19 Big Slam against Stanford.
#2 USC 4, #18 California 0
April 5, 2014 - Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #5 Hanfmann/Sarmiento (USC) vs. Bayane/Melton (CAL) - 6-4 susp.
(2) Crystal/Quiroz (USC) def. Goransson/McLachlan (CAL) - 8-3
(3) de Vroome/Johnson (USC) def. Bergevi/Engsted (CAL) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point
Order of finish: 2, 3
(1) #12 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) vs. #70 Ben McLachlan (CAL) - 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 susp.
(2) #3 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. #89 Campbell Johnson (CAL) - 6-0, 6-1
(3) #56 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Filip Bergevi (CAL) - 7-5, 6-4*
(4) #100 Max de Vroome (USC) vs. Andre Goransson (CAL) - 3-6, 6-2 susp.
(5) Eric Johnson (USC) def. Gregory Bayane (CAL) - 6-2, 6-1
(6) Michael Grant (USC) vs. Nikhil Jayashankar (CAL) - 4-6, 2-2 susp.
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3