April 26, 2013
OJAI, Calif. - California produced a promising start against defending Pac-12 and NCAA champion USC, but the 18th-ranked Golden Bears ultimately fell to the fifth-ranked Trojans, 4-1, in the semifinal round of the Pac-12 Championships at Libbey Park. Cal won the doubles point but lost four times in singles to end the match. The loss eliminated the third-seeded Bears from the conference tournament and left their record at 14-9. USC improved to 23-3.
"We played with a lot of heart today and did an outstanding job in doubles," Cal head coach Peter Wright said. "The singles was close, but USC outplayed us in some key situations. We will continue to get better as we prepare for the NCAA Championships in May. I'm extremely proud of how our guys have been competing this year. We have some time to recover from some nagging injuries."
USC will play top-seeded and top-ranked UCLA - the regular-season Pac-12 champion - in Sunday's final.
Cal was on fire in doubles against the Trojans. Sophomores Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton kicked off the day with an 8-6 victory over USC's Eric Johnson and Max de Vroome, and then the 32nd-ranked duo of junior Campbell Johnson and senior Christoffer Konigsfeldt outlasted USC's 40th-ranked pair of Ray Sarmiento and Yannick Hanfmann, 9-8(7), to wrap up the doubles point.
The Bears put up a fight in singles, but the talented Trojans ultimately prevailed. On court two, the 82nd-ranked Konigsfeldt lost to the 65th-ranked Hanfmann, 6-2, 6-4, to tie the team score at 1-1, and then Bayane fell to the 80th-ranked Johnson, 6-4, 6-4, to give USC a 2-1 advantage.
Cal won its first set on court five, with Engsted winning 6-2 against 93rd-ranked Jonny Wang. But the Trojan won the last two sets 6-0, 6-2, to take the match. The 62nd-ranked Johnson pushed 34th-ranked Quiroz on court three, as the Trojan edged the Bear, 7-6(7), in the first set. Quiroz won the second, 6-2, to give USC the semifinal victory.
2013 Pac-12 Championships
 No. 5 USC 4,  No. 18 California 1
April 26, 2013, in Ojai, Calif.
1. No. 32 Johnson/Konigsfeldt (Cal) def. No. 40 Sarmiento/Hanfmann (USC) - 9-8(7)
2. No. 44 Quiroz/Gomez (USC) vs. No. 66 Engsted/McLachlan (Cal) - Abandoned
3. Bayane/Melton (Cal) def. Johnson/DeVroome (USC) -8-6
(Cal wins the doubles point)
Order of finish: 3, 1*.
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 17 Ray Sarmiento (USC) vs. No. 33 Ben McLachlan (Cal) - Abandoned
2. No. 65 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. No. 82 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (Cal) - 6-2, 6-4
3. No. 34 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. No. 62 Campbell Johnson (Cal) -7-6(7), 6-2
4. No. 80 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Gregory Bayane (Cal) - 6-4, 6-4
5. No. 93 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Mads Engsted (Cal) - 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. No. 94 Michael Grant (USC) vs. Chase Melton (Cal) - Abandoned
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 3*.
*Clinched the match