April 6, 2013
SEATTLE - California spoiled Washington's final home match of the regular season when the 21st-ranked Golden Bears beat the 30th-ranked Huskies, 5-2, on Saturday at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Bears - who played UW inside due to rain in Seattle - improved their record to 10-8 (2-1 in the Pac-12), while the Huskies' record is now 15-8 (2-2 Pac-12).
Cal won the doubles points with wins on courts two and three. Christoffer Konigsfeldt clinched a second consecutive victory for the Bears with his singles win on court three. The senior co-captain - ranked 66th in singles - defeated Max Manthou, 6-2, 6-7(2), 6-0.
In doubles, Cal sophomores Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton teamed up to knock off the UW tandem of Hudson Barnhart and Manthou, 8-4, on court three. The 40th-ranked duo of freshman Mads Engsted and junior Ben McLachlan secured the doubles point for the Bears by edging Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke, 8-6, on court two.
Engsted continued his success by topping Viktor Farkas, 6-2, 6-1, on court five to open singles play. The Huskies then got on the scoreboard, as Melton fell to UW's Nicholas Kamisar, 6-1, 6-4, on court six; Cal led 2-1 at that point.
The Bears next won two straight matches to claim the team victory, as Johnson, ranked 46th, beat Marton Bots, 6-2, 7-5, on court two and then Konigsfeldt triumphed on court three to make the overall score 4-1.
In a clash of two nationally ranked players on court one, No. 44 McLachlan lost to No. 21 Kyle McMorrow, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. But Bayane closed the match with a 6-7(0), 7-5, 6-1, win over Egger on court four to give Cal its 5-2 victory.
"It's amazing how important the doubles point has been for us this year," Cal head coach Mads Engsted played one of his best matches of the year, and team captain Chris Konigsfeldt clinched the win."
Cal returns to the cozy confines of the Hellman Tennis Complex for its final regular-season home matches next week. The Bears host No. 75 Utah on Friday, April 12, at 1:30 p.m. and then closes out the home slate against No. 71 Arizona on Saturday, April 12, at 1 p.m.
No. 21 California 5, No. 30 Washington 2
April 6, 2013, in Seattle, Wash. Nordstrom Tennis Center
1. Bots/McMorrow (Washington) vs. No. 26 Johnson/Konigsfeldt (California), 5-5 (unf.)
2. No. 40 Engsted/McLachlan (California) def. Egger/Hawke (Washington), 8-6
3. Bayane/Melton (California) def. Barnhart/Manthou (Washington), 8-4
(Cal wins the doubles point)
Order of Finish: 3,2.
1. No. 21 Kyle McMorrow (Washington) def. No. 44 Ben McLachlan (California), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 46 Campbell Johnson (California) def. Marton Bots (Washington), 6-2, 7-5
3. No. 66 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (California) def. Max Manthou (Washington), 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-0
4. Gregory Bayane (California) def. Emmett Egger (Washington), 6-7(0), 7-5, 6-1
5. Mads Engsted (California) def. Viktor Farkas (Washington), 6-2, 6-1
6. Nicholas Kamisar (Washington) def. Chase Melton (California), 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 2, 3, 1, 4.