Feb. 9, 2013
LOS ANGELES - Campbell Johnson won his singles match, but it wasn't enough for No. 13 California as the Golden Bears lost to No. 3 UCLA, 6-1, on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bears' record now stands at 3-2, while the Bruins improved to 7-0.
"I felt we competed much better today, and even though we didn't get the win, we've now face two of the top teams in the country, and our guys are motivated, not discouraged," Cal head coach Peter Wright said. "We're close to a breakthrough, and we'll continue to keep our focus on being at our best for the postseason."
Cal fell at No. 2 USC on Friday.
Against UCLA, Johnson, a junior, beat Adrien Puget, 7-5, 6-1, on court three.
The host Bruins had taken a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. On court two, Cal sophomore Gregory Bayane and freshman Mads Engsted fell, 8-2, in the first doubles match to finish to UCLA's Puget and Karue Sell, while the Cal new pair of junior Ben McLachlan and sophomore Chase Melton dropped an 8-5 result on court three to Alex Brigham/Dennis Mkrtchian to wrap up the doubles point for UCLA.
McLachlan was without his usual doubles partner - his brother, senior Riki McLachlan, who suffered an injury at USC.
In singles, UCLA extended its lead when the 41st-ranked Mkrtchian beat No. 93 Mads Engsted, 6-1, 6-2 on court four and then when Cal senior and 42nd-ranked Christoffer Konigsfeldt fell to 12th-ranked Marcos Giron on court two, 6-4, 6-4. The Bruins clinched the match when Sell topped No. 92 Melton on court six, 6-4, 6-3.
The teams played out the rest of the matches, with Johnson next winning on court three to make the score 4-1. On court one, 66th-ranked Ben McLachlan dropped the first set to UCLA's Dennis Novikov, 6-4, before bouncing back to win the second set, 6-3. But Novikov won the last set, 6-3, and the match.
On court five, Bayane also took his Bruin counterpart, Clay Thompson, to three sets before falling, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.
Cal returns to action in the ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championship from Feb. 15-18 in Seattle.
No. 3 UCLA 6, No. 13 Cal 1
Feb. 09, 2013 at Los Angeles
Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Giron/Novikov (UCLA) vs. Johnson/Konigsfeldt (Cal) 6-6, unfinished
2. Puget/Sell (UCLA) def. Bayane/Engsted (Cal) 8-2
3. Alex Brigham/Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. B. McLachlan/Melton (Cal) 8-5 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. #66 Ben McLachlan (Cal) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. #12 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. #42 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (Cal) 6-4, 6-4
3. Campbell Johnson (Cal) def. Adrien Puget (UCLA) 7-5, 6-1
4. #41 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. #93 Mads Engsted (Cal) 6-1, 6-2
5. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Gregory Bayane (Cal) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. #92 Chase Melton (Cal) 6-4, 6-3
Records: UCLA 7-0; Cal 3-2.
Order of finish: Doubles: 2,3. Singles: 4,2,6,3,1,5.