Hellman Tennis Complex

Hellman Tennis Complex

Hellman Grand Reopening

Parking and Directions

Men's Tennis Information

Women's Tennis Information

California tennis makes its home at the Hellman Tennis Complex, located on the southwest side of campus. Used both for practice and home dual-match competition, Hellman served as the host facility for the 1996 Men's Rolex NorCal Regional Tournament and was the site of the 1994 NCTA/Michael Chang Reach for the Stars tennis clinic that benefited underprivileged Northern California youths, as well as numerous NCAA regional competitions.

Hellman Tennis Complex
In January of 2015, the University completed the renovation of the Hellman Tennis Complex that added a variety of upgrades to improve the tennis experience for competing teams and fans alike. Upgrades include the following:
  • New men’s and women’s team locker rooms, restrooms and showers
  • New public restrooms for fans
  • New elevated seating extending from court No. 1 to court No. 6
  • New team lounge/academic room
  • New banners and a Legacy Wall commemorating Cal’s past stars as well as conference, national and postgraduate on-court success
  • A donor wall thanking those who contributed to the renovation of Hellman

FOUNDING THE HOME OF CAL TENNIS
Hellman Tennis ComplexBuilt in 1983 with a grant from the S.H. Cowell Foundation, the Hellman Tennis Complex was formally dedicated by the University in October of that year. From 1983-91, Hellman housed the offices of both men's track and field and men's tennis, until the merger of the men's and women's athletic departments relocated women's head coach Jan Brogan's staff to Hellman in 1991. The facility's office has been for tennis only ever since. 

The tennis center honors the late Isias Warren Hellman III, a Cal alumnus (A.B., 1920), former chair of the Cowell Foundation and the former president and chair of Wells Fargo Bank. Hellman was one of Cal's most prominent and active donors and was responsible for university contributions ranging from the Friends of the Bancroft Library to the Alumni House and Barrows Hall.

THOMAS STOW PLAZA

In 1993, stadium lights were added to Hellman Tennis Complex, a direct result of the work of former Oakland Athletics owner Walter Haas. Haas, a Cal tennis letterwinner in 1927, spearheaded the Cal Sports 80s fund-raising campaign, which brought campus-wide improvements to all of Cal's athletic facilities.

Stow Plaza was constructed during the fall of 1994 to honor its namesake, Thomas Stow, the 1926 NCAA doubles champion and former California coach. Formally dedicated upon its completion in January 1995, Stow Plaza brought a face-lift to Hellman Tennis Complex, creating a new main entrance and landscaped patio for Cal's tennis facility.

Thomas Stow was a legend in Cal tennis history, partnering with the great Bud Chandler to win the 1926 NCAA doubles championship before graduating from Cal in 1927. He returned as head coach from 1932-46, the longest tenure ever at the university. During his time at the helm of the Golden Bears, Stow compiled a 73-45-1 (.618) coaching record, leading Cal to three Pacific Coast Conference championships. He was inducted into Cal's Athletic Hall of Fame in 1987.

Dress Your Pet 2015
Any Mountain
Playing for the Future Gilead
Inside the Locker Room
Muscle Milk Student Athlete of the Week